GO!

Broken toe - Bone repair suggestions?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Madiba

Does a motto- taste like- peanut butter?

Barked: Mon Sep 11, '06 8:46am PST 
Hello. I have a broken toe! It's been in a splint for about 1.5 weeks so far; 4.5 weeks to go. The vet said that extra calcium wouldn't help. Does anyone know of anything else that might help with recovery? Mommy just started me on a partial-RMB diet this morning. Thanks!
Your friend in fur, Madiba
[notify]
Farrah- ♥12/9- 7-3/06

I love Bosco,- Jack & GR

Barked: Mon Sep 11, '06 11:26am PST 
Human toes can't be fixed, so I don't think that dog toes can be either. Once they are broken, they're broken. Someone feel free to correct me on this, but I think that's what it is.
[notify]
Sophie Sue

Check us out at- Dolittler.com!

Barked: Mon Sep 11, '06 11:37am PST 
Don't worry! Toes are definitely fixable. Trouble is, they take on so much weight (especially in big dogs) that they can take a long time to heal. Dogs can have these fixed with tiny plates an screws in some cases (depends on the bones involved and your budget). Toes fixed internally (surgically) tend to heal more quickly and end up perfectly aligned (if you have a good surgeon--Board certification is a must in these cases). But the mainstay of treatment for most dogs is splinting. And staying off your foot as much as possible. Multivitamins are basic. Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate--in the event the break affect a joint--is also a great supplement to consider. Ask your vet.

Dr. Patty Khuly
www.dolittler.com
[notify]

Madiba

Barked: Mon Sep 11, '06 3:51pm PST 
Thanks, doc! It's just a little bone that's cleanly broken diagonally in the middle, not affecting either joint. I'm splinted and mostly resting, no running or playing or long walks, so hopefully it'll heal OK on its own. Mommy just thought that maybe there were some chemicals/minerals that might be unique to doggy bone formation.

Mommy wants to rewrap my splint on her own this week instead of going to the vet. She thinks that she knows what she's doing just because she's a med student and she watched the vet tech that rewrapped it last week. I think that I trust her... Any suggestions?
[notify]
Sophie Sue

Check us out at- Dolittler.com!

Barked: Mon Sep 11, '06 6:49pm PST 
Basic suggestions on wrapping--splints should be snug, not tight. The vet didn't apply it? That's weird. Basically, her toes should all be touching each other. But a vet's best to apply this bandage. Too tight, a bandage can cut off the circulation. Too loose and the broken bone won't be stabilized in a position where it can heal. Good luck, sweetie!

Dr. Patty Khuly
www.dolittler.com
[notify]
Celeste- ♥

I'm Daddy's- Girl, but I love- everyone!

Barked: Mon Sep 11, '06 7:07pm PST 
I run all the time! I broke several bones in my foot. I wore a splint for sometime and now I run just like before. You can't even tell I broke it. Mom says she's sure I'll probably have arthritis in it, but for now, I'm good as new!!
[notify]
Madiba

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 9:58am PST 
Thanks!
[notify]
Charlie

Charlie Pie

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 3:45pm PST 
I broke my toe but it is fine now. The vet thinks that the soft cast and elizibethan collar healed it, but I say that eggs, ice cream, yogurt and steak is the cure.
[notify]
Madiba

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 6:19pm PST 
Hi, Charlie. I like the way you think, brother!
[notify]