GO!

First teeth cleaning

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Dane

Ummm why aren't- you doing what I- want??

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 6:55pm PST 
I feel bad for even letting this subject slip my mind but Dane just turned 2 last month and my mom mentioned to me that I should look into getting his teeth cleaned. He also has one of his baby teeth that failed to fall out so he needs it pulled. How often do you guys get your pups teeth cleaned by the vet??? Also is there anything I can do at home?? I do get him these little dental chews that supposedly have enzymes in them to help clean his teeth. Anyone have any good links or informatory sites I can glance at?? Thanks smile
[notify]
Starbuck

Hug me... I'm a- blood donor!

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 7:20pm PST 
Hi Dane's Mom, I'm a vet tech and perform dental cleanings on doggies on a regular basis. Really, the age at which a dog should get his first cleaning varies and depends on the condition of his teeth. Dogs who have eaten all or mostly wet food their whole lives will need their first dental a lot earlier than dogs who have eaten dry only. Also, you say Dane has puppy teeth that failed to fall out. That will quicken the need for a dental cleaning because tarter and debris builds up quickly in the places where the old puppy teeth touch the adult teeth that were supposed to replace them. Generally, your vet should determine if Dane needs a dental. He/She will look at Dane's teeth and see how much tarter has built up, the amount of gingivitis and whether there are any rotting or abcessed teeth that need extraction. Dentals are done under general anesthesia, therefore should be done when necessary and not more often than needed. Once Dane goes in for a dental, generally he will have to have one every year for the rest of his life. The scaler used to clean the teeth also creates tiny grooves and texture on the teeth, which allows tarter to build back up on them faster. The dental maintenance you can do at home (which includes daily brushing, giving dental and enzymatic chews and switching to dry food only) will only help prevent more tarter build up but will not remove what is already there. Make an appointment for an exam or ask you vet to look at Dane's teeth next time you go into the vet for vaccines. Don't let the teeth get too bad before you get Dane a dental because thick tarter on the teeth holds bacteria that travels through the digestive tract and gets absorbed into the bloodstream at the site of irritated gums. This can cause a multitude of internal problems and infections including liver disfunction. Hope this helps, and here is a link to pet dental information at ThePetCenter.com, see "Periodontal Disease" and "Baby Teeth". Good Luck!
[notify]
Starbuck

Hug me... I'm a- blood donor!

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 7:20pm PST 
Sorry, here's the link:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/dental.html
[notify]

Dane

Ummm why aren't- you doing what I- want??

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 7:41pm PST 
Starbuck thanks for the great info. As soon as we find a new vet we like we'll go ahead and schedule him an appt. smile
[notify]
Shiva

Momma where are- you?

Barked: Sun Aug 20, '06 2:16pm PST 
I second what starbucks said. Dental cleanings are very essential to your basic health and well being. After the dental cleaning is done you can do preventative maintenance at home to reduce tartar build up. We advise CET oral cleansing rinse, cet tooth paste for brushing and cet dental chews. The link below explains the steps. Hope this helps.

http://www.cetdental.com/three_easy_steps.asp
[notify]
Gollum

I deserve to be- worshipped.

Barked: Tue Aug 22, '06 3:03pm PST 
I have two Italian Greyhounds, Artimus and Gollum. Although they are the same breed, they are totally different! Even down to the dental issues. Artimus has naturally white, beautiful teeth. He had his first cleaning at 4 years old. The vet didn't seem overly concerned with our delay. His brother, Gollum, has discolored teeth. One looks like a Cheeto stuck up in his gums. BOL! We took him to get his teeth cleaned at 6 months old. The vet said his teeth "weren't that bad" which really confused us. A couple years later we took him in again. She explained to us this time that "his teeth are just discolored, they don't actually have that much tartar buildup on them." Every dog is different. I get their teeth brushed at Petsmart every once in a while, use greenies (under supervision), and feed them dry food. I think this works well.
[notify]