GO!

Wheezing/Gasping for Air

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Penny

I didn't do it!

Barked: Thu Jul 13, '06 6:02pm PST 
I don't do this a lot, but when I do, it's in the morning. I just start gasping for air and breath very, very heavily for a good few minutes. Mommy gets so worried and she consulted with the vet and he said sometimes certain breeds/types of dogs are more prone to breathing problems, but as long as I'm eating and playing, it shouldn't be a problem. Do any of you doggies out there wheeze??
[notify]
Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Thu Jul 13, '06 6:22pm PST 
Is it like a reverse sneeze?
Tippy does what it called a reverse sneeze and it sounds bad but it's really not.
[notify]
Pugsly

I've been pet by- Leonardo- Dicaprio!!

Barked: Thu Jul 13, '06 6:24pm PST 
I do that too!
[notify]

Sparky

Wasn't me! Do- you have proof?

Barked: Thu Jul 13, '06 9:15pm PST 
My mommy took me to the vet about this too. I do it especially when mommy and daddy come home and I get really excited. He said it was fairly common in smaller breeds. I would always check with the vet first like you did.
[notify]
Owen

"What are we- doing today?"

Barked: Fri Jul 14, '06 10:18am PST 
I have a reverse sneeze but it is more of a quick deep snorting.
It only happens when I get really excited or if I eat something spicy.

Be careful, weezing and panting can be symptoms of something very serious like heart issues.
[notify]
Lina

Specialize your- furbaby! - Cordilia.com

Barked: Fri Jul 14, '06 10:26am PST 
I do this too...not very often but time to time.
My mom's very worried about it and she told my vet but she saids without her actually seeing me do it in front of her, she can't really tell what it is. And she said the same thing, if I eat, drink & play normally, it's not something to worry about.

But sure my mom is very worried. When she heards me gasping for air, she drops everthing and runs toward me and make sure i'm okay and watchs me closely and make sure i get back to breathing normally...

Mom saids I look painful when I do this and she wishes to know what's causing it... frown
She said if it continues I'm getting a blood test and x-rays done. (And my vet suggested this if I continue to gasps)

Edited by author Fri Jul 14, '06 10:30am PST

[notify]
Owen

"What are we- doing today?"

Barked: Fri Jul 14, '06 10:37am PST 
When I have an episode of reverse sneezing I will usually stand there for a few seconds, eyes wide...stiff..

It was very scary when it first happened. But once we figured out what was wrong and that it is just a part of what I do, everything got better.

Now when I have an episode, mom will talk to me calmly or rub my throat gently. If that doesn't work, a quick puff of air into my nose snaps me out of it.
Now that I am older, it doesn't happen as much.

The vet does need to diagnose it though because it is not to be confused with collapsing trachea which is potentially serious.

I hope you guys figure it out soon so you can place your minds at ease!
[notify]
Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Fri Jul 14, '06 12:06pm PST 
Owen,
I was going to mention collapsing trachea.
[notify]
Georgie- (7/1/04 - 10/30/13)

I Hate- Mosquitos!

Barked: Fri Jul 14, '06 2:24pm PST 
I do that too! About once a week or so, mostly in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping heavily, and something startles me awake. It wakes mom up, and she walks with me into the living room so we won't wake up dad. By the time we get in there, it usually stops.

eta: This is from Georgie, btw. (Dogster ID#337964) For some reason, my pic, etc. didn't show up here. Oh well!

Edited by author Fri Jul 14, '06 3:09pm PST

[notify]
Birken

I'm a funny dog- !

Barked: Fri Jul 14, '06 2:52pm PST 
yes yes yes
i've had many many maltese or maltese mixes in my family....MANY....
and they ALL did it...
it's either a reverse sneeze or a collapsing trachea - which alot of small dogs get....
i usually just lift their head up and rub right under there chin/neck area....
and that seems to help....
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2