GO!

Safe Solution for my dog yard....

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Fred

Barked: Sun Jul 9, '06 8:23am PST 
my fiance and I are moving our fabulous pound dogs to a their new house in the next couple weeks, and their new yard too. We fenced in an area of the yard we have now, and after 6 months of wear and tear there was no grass left resulting in an ugly yard and more importantly muddy dogs....I was wondering if anyone has any safe solutions for something other than grass. I was thinking maybe putting woodchips or mulch down in their yard instead of grass? I dont think that would be dangerous to them, but I'm not 100% sure. If anyone knows of any other natural solutions that wont get really smelly please let me know.
[notify]
♥Brut- is♥

Brutis- Is that for me?

Barked: Sun Jul 9, '06 2:26pm PST 
I aqm not sure on that matter but if you do put mulch down do not put Coco Mulch down. Mom made that mistake and put it on her garden and I ate some and got real sick. Just make sure that if you do put mulch down you put pet friendly mulch down.
[notify]
♥Brut- is♥

Brutis- Is that for me?

Barked: Sun Jul 9, '06 2:31pm PST 
I aqm not sure on that matter but if you do put mulch down do not put Coco Mulch down. Mom made that mistake and put it on her garden and I ate some and got real sick. Just make sure that if you do put mulch down you put pet friendly mulch down.
[notify]

Nugget CGC- *RIP*- 2001-2010

Play- Nice

Barked: Sun Jul 9, '06 2:39pm PST 
Remember too that some pups like to chew and eat the muclch which can present a "Sharp" problem in their gut.
We have a few doggie daycares n the area that have pebbles down. This would only be a problem for mouthy pups who eat the pebbles.
If it were us I'd say go with the safest product they might eat, grass.
[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Sun Jul 9, '06 3:01pm PST 
we have 2 large breeds dogs & a boston terrier. they all love to run like crazy in the yard & eat the grass too frown we hate the way the yard looks but we have started to accept it. this spring we put down grass seeds & top soil & the yard looks much better (for now). i guess this is something we'll have to stay on top of. we don't spray our yard so i manually remove weeds as well...it's hard wrk but worth the efforts of not exposing the boys to pesticides. the dog parks we've taken the boys to in the past have wood chips & they seem to wrk well as long as you don't have dogs who like to eat them.
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Sun Jul 9, '06 3:02pm PST 
Most of the dog parks here have wood chips (untreated, def. not cocoa mulch) on the ground. The problem is, pups like me looove to eat them. So mommy has to watch me extra carefully so I'm not trying to swallow shards of wood! I'd say grass is best if it's at all an option.
[notify]