GO!

MOTOR OIL FOR MANGE??????

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sara

My new name: - SUPER GLUE

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 7:11am PST 
Sara Here:

I saw several postings regards using motor oil to cure mange.

I asked several dog lovers (responsible people who want nothing but the best for their pooch).

I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!

This seems to be a folk remedy that's been around a long time.

Some people swear by it.

By the way, they used USED motor oil.

No, I would never put this crap on my dog. The very thought of this icky goo, with all the chemical contaminants, is repulsive.

My goodness, folks, if the oil is going to do damage to your car's engine, think about what it will do to your dog?

Like they say:

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS.
[notify]
Inna

I'm Innariffic!

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 8:03am PST 
Yucky. I don't see how, in any way, that could be good for a dog.
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 8:52am PST 
Yeah, it supposedly works, but there has got to be healthier ways to cure it these days (hopefully).

I don't even like my dog walking through a parking lot due to the threat of him getting leaking oil on his feet, so I seriously doubt I would rub this stuff all over his body.
[notify]

Cosmic- Isabel- Roverandom

To Infinity and- Beyond!

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 9:03am PST 
There are medicated dips and injections that can be administered and/or prescribed by vets for all forms of mange.

Motor oil? That sounds like crazy talk to me.
[notify]
Magnolia,- J.B.O-p.D.M

Stir The Pot to- Prevent- Sticking!

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 9:16am PST 
I'm with all of you.
I found this article
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=630
I don't doubt the sincerity of love by these "dippers" but my Dog, would you use it on yourself???
[notify]
Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 9:16am PST 
Well, motor oil is there to PREVENT damage to your car's engine, not damage it bol without motor oil, you engine would, well, blow up.

In any case, as an absolute LAST resort would I ever do something like this, if it were life or death and there were no other alternative, but I would prefer other healthier and safer methods to begin with.
[notify]
Buddy

Play with me! - Now! WOOF!

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 11:57am PST 
I saw this on animap cops once. Dog was in horrible shape and had been covered in motor oil. Vets and cops looked about thisclose to just banging their heads on the wall.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 2:30pm PST 
I don't know how moteroil would work other than that when you see a dog covered in motoroil, you'd be so busy washing that slimy goo off him that you won't even notice the mange party

c'mon people. we live in the 21st century. We have advanced medical techniques to help us - just go to a vet wink
[notify]
Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 3:49pm PST 
You never want to put that on your dog.
We have gotten a few rescue dogs that have been "treated" with used motor oil and they were in horrible condition.
Here in the south we have a ton of people that swear by it but they are the same people that will actually sew up a dog with thread and needle if it gets hurt!
There are so many other options, like Revolution which is fairly cheap and does not require dipping.
[notify]
Gypsy Simone- - A Special- Angel

Small Dogs Rule

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 4:24pm PST 
The easiest way to get rid of Mange is to use LymDyp. It stinks - but it works! Mange is very common in Puerto Rico because of the hot humid climate. Aunt Gloria uses it all the time on the Satos at the shelter. Amber and I were lucky, neither of us had it when we were rescued.

But Mom saw a lot of Satos with really really bad mange when she was in Puerto Rico last year.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2