GO!

Deformed Foot

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Tue Mar 21, '06 9:31am PST 
Hi guys
I got my pup recently and noticed right away that his right hind foot was not like the others. This one was missing a paw pad (sort of...the pad is barely there and when I feel it- it is missing a bone), two paw pads are conjoined and the other is growing at an angle along with all the nails that are present on the foot.

I don't really know what to do. I somehow managed not to mention it at all during the first vet visit. And the breeder explained that I have nothing to worry about as she happens to see this occur to puppies as the mother rips off the umbilical cord. Does that mean the mom accidentally bit off parts of the toes that they happened to grow at at angle and conjoin? More so that this bite happened to take away a bone and managed to keep a miniscule paw pad.

I really don't want the pup to be limited in his activities. The pup is also registered in the Canadian Kennel Club. Don't really know if that has anything to do with it.

Regards
[notify]
ludo

swissie sissy

Barked: Tue Mar 21, '06 2:18pm PST 
what seems strange to me is that the breeder wasn't sure if the mom accidently bit it off or not. i'm sure it happens but it would be a serious wound that would have needed medical attention. a good breeder should keep a very close eye on all pups to make sure something like that doesn't go unnoticed. hopefully you weren't planning on showing him and didn't pay for a show quality dog otherwise i would demand some sort of reimbursement. being ckc registered is basically just like having a birth certificate, even dogs at the pet stores who were born in puppy mills have them, so that doesn't have anything to do with whether the breeder was reputable or not. i'm sure it won't hurt him now but any limb deformity that affects proper joint alignment and thus movement will eventually cause discomfort, arthritus, calcifications, etc...best of luck.
[notify]