GO!

FRONTLINE AND SEIZURES

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Tue Mar 14, '06 8:36am PST 
Most of you know Pokie has epilepsy. After over a year of detailed journals and observation, we have pretty well identified triggers and gotten him to a state of guardedly optimistic health. I still had a nagging suspicion that his last seizure, albeit mild, was triggered by the application of Frontline onto the cats and the outdoor dog. He likes to sleep with the cats and will lay his chin on the back of their necks. Within a couple of days of application ON THE CATS, not him, he had that petit mal seizure. Well, since it's been "winter" and not a bad flea problem, I extended the application of Frontline to 6 weeks instead of 4. I even had Pokie's dad put it on the cats on Saturday night after Pokie was tucked in, knowing that it could dry overnight and then the cats would spend most of Sunday outdoors. I hoped that was enough. It wasn't. He began to act "out of it" on Sunday, poor appetite. He ate a 'fair' breakfast yesterday. But when evening came, he wasn't that interested in eating. I picked him up and felt the 'mini-tremors' I have come to associate with onset of a full blown seizure. So I gave him a half valium and took him to watch TV, which was fine. However, later, he was on the bed with the cats before bedtime and began to wheeze quite a bit. Got that settled down and he ate his bedtime treat OK and settled down - that is until about 2:3o. He woke me by scratching at the covers on the foot of the bed, then seemed to jump down and ran around to get back up into my arms, then crashed! I dashed to the kitchen for his valium and gave him first one that was pre-crushed just for such emergencies, which was easy because he was licking and smacking the whole time. Once he settled a bit, I gave him another tablet, and he went on to stabilize and went back to sleep. When it was alarm time, he got up, hungry as a horse and ready to go outdoors to do his business. I am confident that he will be fine today. My point is to let others know that if you have a seizure prone pet, Frontline has shown itself (at my house anyway) to be a trigger, whether applied directly to the pet or to another in the household. If I save one more pet owner the aggravation and one more pet the misery of these seizures, it will be worth this dimestore novel I've written. Now that I know for certain how to avoid the seizures, my time will be spent searching out the best non-toxic flea control methods.....

- Pokie's mom
[notify]
Maxwell

Shakety-Shake!

Barked: Tue Mar 14, '06 9:35am PST 
Wow - thank you for your thoroughness! This is very helpful information to be aware of and we hope Poquito feels better soon.
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Tue Mar 14, '06 10:37am PST 
Oh no! Poor Poquito. Although that sounds like an awful experience, hopefully it helps pinpoint the trigger of the seizures. That is just so scary. Do you have to wash the cats now? Kind of scary because the frontline stays with the animals for a while. Keep us updated on Poquito's condition. Thank you so much for this information.
[notify]

Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Tue Mar 14, '06 11:15am PST 
Maxwell & Brody, thanks so much for your thoughtful replies. I feel certain he will be fine when I get home tonight. In the almost 15 months I've had him, it took about 6 months for the 'light to go on' about the relationship to Heartgard and Frontline. I had thought not giving HIM Frontline was enough. Usually, it won't happen again. The cats will have rolled around outdoors and elsewhere enough that he won't have a problem. But, they will have to be protected some other way from now on. Like I said, I just hope my scrutiny can save even one more pet and/or pet owner all this headache. Thanks again.

- Pokie's mom
[notify]