GO!

My nose is turning brown!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Mar 4, '06 6:25pm PST 
Sorry. I didn't know where to put this.

My nose is turning brown. Is this normal? I know that some poodles have brown noses, and others have black noses. My mommie and daddie saw both my biological parents and they both had black noses. Could this be some recessive brown nose gene that's acting up...?

Right now, my nose is still pretty much black, but there's this brown spot on top of my nose that's gradually getting bigger.

I've heard of doggies changing their coat color with age, but never the nose! Did your nose color ever change?
[notify]
Portos- (19/01/95 - 13/07/07)

Praying hard for- Postal

Barked: Sat Mar 4, '06 6:54pm PST 
Yes, mine! When I was a puppy, my nose was totally black. Between 1 and 2 years old, it started to fade to pink! None of the members of my canine family had this depigmented nose, just me! Many vets around the world have taken a look to it, and all of them agree it's just that: depigmentation. It doesn't cause any health problem, so don't worry!
Hope it helped, Snowie!!!!
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Sat Mar 4, '06 9:13pm PST 
What kind of food and water dishes do you use? I have heard that plastics dishes can change the pigment in the nose.
[notify]

Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Sat Mar 4, '06 9:13pm PST 
What kind of food and water dishes do you use? I have heard that plastics dishes can change the pigment in the nose.
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Sat Mar 4, '06 9:24pm PST 
A brown nose? Do you by chance work where my mom used to work?? BOL! (you gotta know the place) Yeah, we heard the thing about plastic dishes too. You're probably still a stunning specimen of poodlehood.

Woof!
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Mar 4, '06 10:55pm PST 
I use stainless steel bowls, because mommie heard a rumor that plastic dishes can cause doggies to have pimples (darn plastic bowls!). Yeah, I guess I don't mind the nose color change, but why brown? It seems a bit plain, don't you think? Red or blue may have been more interesting.

*humming to self - Snowy the red nosed poo-dle...*

Edited by author Sat Mar 4, '06 10:59pm PST

[notify]
Takiah

Barked: Sun Mar 5, '06 1:01am PST 
Snowy...it sounds like you have `Dudley nose.` Yep! That`s the real name of it! It is perfectly fine, there is nothing to worry about. I did some research in the past because Takiah`s nose turns different colours as well. Here is the def`n of Dudley Nose from the net:

`Previous black nose turns chocolate brown to light pink; more common in Yellow Labs, Golden Retrievers, Poodles, and Dobermans; not associated with a disease process`

Takiah`s nose changes colours with the seasons. She doesn`t have Dudley`s nose, but what is called`Snow Nose.` Basically in the summer she has a strip of brown, and in the colder months it turns almost pink. They aren`t sure exactly why it happens, but they think it is due to lack of sunlight in the winter...the nose turns lighter to absorb more vit. A (or E??) from the sunlight. Many northern dogs developed this trait. It is completely normal, but just to answer your question, yep some dog`s noses do indeed change colours often. smile
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Sun Mar 5, '06 7:31am PST 
Sabrina's nose was black when we got her and now it's mostly a pinkish brown with spots of black on it. It actually matches her coat better this way!
[notify]
Paris-- CGC &- Therapy Dog

Missy Wiggle- Butt

Barked: Sun Mar 5, '06 10:12am PST 
My nose turned brown too!! It was black. I'm glad to know I'm not the only doggie this has happened too, and my mommy is glad that its not a medical problem
[notify]
----Jordan--- --

Sweet & gentle- rabble rouser

Barked: Sun Mar 5, '06 10:32am PST 
Mom was doing a little experiment on this. Basically when my nose lightened this winter she tried cod liver oil supplementing to see if my nose darkened again. Cod liver oil unlike salmon or other fish oil has vitamin D. I'd get a small capsule maybe 5xs a week.

It seems like it stopped the progressive fading but it's still not a hearty black like it is in the summer. Fortunately it's never become the sickly pale she's seen in a few other Westies though (they really do not look healthy).

It sounds like there's a variety of reasons for noses to fade. On a Westie forum someone said they'd asked their vet and breeder and both responded that it was stress causing the fading. They said it was a stress-related condition. I'd think in some it'd be a more natural event than in others due to breed / genetics.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3