GO!

Bumps and Lumps after being spayed.....

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Pitunia

Fighting BSL in- our backyard

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 11:01am PST 
I was fixed on Thursday last week. The incision is only about 3 inches tops.... Mommy and Daddy came and picked me up Friday night and by Saturday am, I have a bump on my belly.... It is directly under my incision and is a hard lump. Should I be worried about this? Reese had a much larger incision, but no lumps....
[notify]
Hershey

In your face,- and not going- anywhere!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 11:44am PST 
You should not worry at all! I was spayed about 3 weeks ago, and I had the same hard bump (it was where they tied the knot for the stitches). It was red and lumpy for a couple of weeks, but the scar and bump have flattened out now and turned pale pink. I'm sure you'll heal up just fine smile

Hershey Kiss
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 11:46am PST 
Not to worry. Abdominal muscle is some tough stuff! I've had several female dogs over the years, and no matter how many years went by after they were spayed, I could always feel their incision area beneath the skin. It remained a raised area, almost like a raised scar. If the vet stitched her up extra tight, and I know they tend to, I bet that's all it is. She is so darn cute! Hugs to your little girl.

- Pokie's mom
[notify]

Ziero - CGC, Rest in- peace 11/

I'm smarter than- your Honor- Student!

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 12:13pm PST 
Well.. I do agree with this, but I will also tell you to keep an eye on it... sometimes dogs can have a local reaction to the suture material that was used to close the abdomen, and that may cause some swelling. This does not happen often, but I have seen it before. So, just err on the side of caution.
[notify]
Bailey

I love- everyone:)

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 12:18pm PST 
Well Bailey had that after being spayed and they said to keep her activity down because it is swelling so you need to be careful. We tried to do as best we could but with a lab puppy it was pretty hard, she is healed and fine now.
[notify]
Pitunia

Fighting BSL in- our backyard

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 12:38pm PST 
Thank you for the responses.... We were told to keep her activity level to a minimum, and finding it difficult to do so. She is very active and will only sit still long enough to find Reese in her sights and run to jump on her head..... (Wigglebum is a nickname given to her, as she can wiggle her little bum out of any grip at all). I thought it to most likely be swelling and not much to worry about, but we've been monitoring it constantly. It is the size of a quarter, and sticks out just as far. She looks like she has an outie!
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 1:03pm PST 
Well you are such a cutie and I can see it's hard to keep you still. Mummy had trouble keeping me still - actually it was impossible! BOL My incision went hard and lumpy straight after the operation but it soon healed up and has completely disappeared now - you can't even see any scar. I'd give it a another few days and if it's still the same why not ring the vet and ask them what they think.
[notify]
Rosie- Moondog

I Love My- Shellies

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 1:11pm PST 
My dad found a lump under my skin near where my spay incision was. He never noticed it before so he took me to the vet. She said to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't change. It could be scar tissue or something related to the spaywe never noticed before, but we're gonna check it once a week just to be sure.
[notify]
Hershey

In your face,- and not going- anywhere!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 1:28pm PST 
Keeping them quiet is a challenge for sure! When we brought Hershey home, you'd never think she'd had the surgery ... she was zooming around like crazy! The only thing we prevented her from doing was sprinting up and down the stairs which she LOVES to do!
[notify]
Molly

50 lb lap dog!!

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 3:14pm PST 
one thing that no one else mentioned -- frequently there are stiches beneath the incision you see that are the "dissolvable" type. I had them and i had a big bump underneath the incision from this too. It took about 4-6 wks to finally completely dissolve, but I healed up real well.

One thing to watch out for is if any of the incision become red or (obviously) if it pusses take her to the vet. Otherwise bumps and lumps are normal.

And Bailey, my Mom agrees that keeping a lab puppy "calm" and "not jumping" is impossible without strapping me down. I was so out of it that mom didn't have to heart to put me in the crate all day, but I just walked around kinda dopey for a day or two and then I insisted on jumping again just back to my "normal" self!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3