GO!

Problem Bowel Movements- Too cold?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lola

Master Bug- Catcher

Barked: Sat Feb 18, '06 2:07pm PST 
I have a potty question. Lola seems to be having difficult bowel movements the past couple of days. She is on a very regular potty schedule and almost always poops on her last time out before bed. This hasn't changed. She goes out, does her usual routine, and when she comes to her normal poop spot, she sqauts and goes, but then continues squatting and straining as if she needs to go more. The bowel movement that does occur is very normal in color and consistency. No diarrhea, it's not hard or oddly colored and the amount is fairly standard too. She just continues to squat and sometimes sort of walk forward in a squatting position as if she still has to poop more, but doesn't. And when she finally decides she's done she's totally fine and is able to hold it until the next night again.

This has only happened for the past three days or so and I'm wondering if it might be due to extreme cold? We're in Minnesota and it's been below zero the past few nights when this has occurred. Anyone else ever have similar behavior related to cold? Think it's something I should get checked out by the vet? Nothing in her diet has changed and she's acting normal and happy in every other way. Good appetite, playful, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
[notify]
Logan- ♥

You say spoiled- like it's a bad- thing.

Barked: Sat Feb 18, '06 6:00pm PST 
Could her anal glands need clearing out? She may be feeling pressure from them and thinking she still needs to go? Just a guess...
[notify]
Maggie

I'm still a- baby.. right?

Barked: Sat Feb 18, '06 9:42pm PST 
Maggie was the exact same way, this went on for a while. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. She was straining and groaning and whining and really pushing after she was finished her BM.. only a few drops of clear liquid would come out after all that. Then the diarrhea started, I fasted her, gave her bland diet, etc.. nothing helped. I had a stool sample taken, but nothing showed up. so she was just treated for the diarrhea. Everything was fine for a while, but then it started again with the straining and then the diarrhea eventually came back. The vet was convinced she had whipworms. Another stool sample was taken, but nothing showed up again. Apparently whips are very hard to detect, even in a stool sample because they don't lay eggs everyday. She was treated for the whips and she has been fine ever since.

Lola may not have diarrhea now, but if this is the same thing as Maggie then she will eventually have it. Maggie's diarrhea wasn't constant, she had regular good size solid BMs too. I'm just very suspicious because it sounds like what Maggie went through.

It may not hurt to talk to the vet and maybe drop off a stool sample.
[notify]

Lola

Master Bug- Catcher

Barked: Sun Feb 19, '06 12:39pm PST 
She's going into the vet in a couple of weeks anyway to be spayed, so I'll call and talk to him about the possibility of whip worms and see about a stool sample. Thanks for the heads up!!
[notify]