GO!

Deworming?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Monty

It snowed!!!

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '06 8:06pm PST 
So Mom took me to the vet to get an eye infection checked and she casually mentioned to my doc that I'd been eating poopsicles at the dog park. The doc said I'd have to be dewormed regularly if this was the case (I never eat the fresh stuff *gross* ONLY frozen *yum*).
Ummm.....what does that entail and will it hurt?
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '06 9:44pm PST 
Nah.. it's just taking some pills, that's it. Your humans may have an "interesting" time though - the pill makes the worms come out through your poo (sometimes alive). If you already have quite a bit of worms, your poo will look like aliens for a few days. smile

If your parents are extra paranoid (like my parents) or if you have exquisite doggie taste and like gobbling up unusual objects (like poos of various domisticated and wild animals), you might want to talk to your vet about putting you on a scheduled deworming. I take an all-dewormer every three months whether I have worms or not just as a safety precaution. This method is pretty popular in Europe, and if you can stick to schedule, you can avoid the hassles of visiting your vet EVERYTIME you need to get dewormed. It gives my parents a peace of mind because they don't need to freak out every time I lick stuff from the ground. If you think about it, parasites can exist anywhere - you can get it from licking the butt of a dog that has parasites, eating their poo, from dirt on the ground, etc.
[notify]
Monty

It snowed!!!

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '06 7:58am PST 
EWWWWWW!! GROSS!!!! Oh My Goodness Gracious - they are alive?????!!!!! My mom's gonna die.
I don't think I have worms right now so it would be a precautionary thing like you. I'm good at taking medicine. I can't imagine wormies coming out of my butt - that is freaky.
Thanks Snowy - I'm gonna go have a fit now!! wink
At least it's only a pill 'cause those are easy.
Thanks for the info!
[notify]

♱- Cheyenne- ♱

Life is Good!

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '06 7:03am PST 
Heartguard is a once a month chewable pill that takes care of worms (except tape worms) and it's a preventative measure as well. My mom said she's gonna put me on it as soon as I turn 6 months old just to be on the safe side. It's ivermectrin which is used montly for horses. It's safe for dogs as young as 6 weeks.
[notify]
Dog Star- Sled Dogs

The dog is never- wrong!

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '06 11:57am PST 
Heartguard is only a preventive. The dose isnt high enough to kill anything. (I kill woms I do belive you have to give 18 heartguard pills for a 50 lb dog) For everything but tapes, the common dewormer is ivermectin. (same stuff as in heartguard or Ivomec, the cattle/pig/sheep/horse dewormer.) Of course, if you have a hearding dog, you dont want to use ivermectin.
Deworming is nasty stuff. But it is usally all cleared up within a couple of days, then your good for a month. Make sure you clean everything really really well afterword to reduce the risk of re-contamination. If you keep up on it and prevent it monthly, you should only have to do it once.
[notify]
Jackie Poo,- NPC

I swear, I- didn't do it

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '06 12:41pm PST 
Maybe it's the kind of pill,
But the dewormer I get put on when I need it causes violent vomiting and diarreah for about 2 hours.
Complete with the worms (alive) and any other parasites I might have gotten.
Because it's such a horrid experiance for me and my Mom (who rushed me in that state to an Emergency Hospital the first time--her poor car), I wouldn't suggest a scheduled worming. Just a close eye and lots of exams.
I'm not a poo eater---I eat the beasties.
[notify]
Bessie

Adopt a dog - save a life

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '06 12:41pm PST 
Bessie was given a dewormer while we were fostering her. I think it was given to her as a precaution, standard at the shelter after testing. It was a powder that we mixed in with her wet food three dinners in a row and that was it. She didn't have worms, so I didn't see anything creepy in her poop. That sounds so gross!
[notify]