GO!

Can bird seed hurt me?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Monty

It snowed!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '06 4:41pm PST 
I was at the doggy park topday and some nut put some bird seed out! Daddy told Mommy that he thinks I got it because I had a mouthful of something but he's not sure. It would have been one of those formed shaped seed thingys (like a bell). Can it hurt me? I'm feeling okay and had a good supper but mommy was just wondering about what holds the seeds together - is it honey or egg whites or something?
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '06 4:45pm PST 
I believe it is usually some sort of tallow (animal fat) that holds the birdseed together. That or peanut butter on the homemade ones.

Unless you're allergic to certain meats, peanuts or other seeds you'll probably be just fine.

Most likely your parents will see the seeds come out the other end pretty much intact!
[notify]
Razel

I'm a scooter- dog now!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '06 4:52pm PST 
Um, well, birdseed hasn't hurt me yet, and I slurp up whatever the birds drop - which is a lot - whenever I can. It just comes out the other end whole...mom doesn't like that part much, as the birdfeeder is filled with sunflower seeds. I've just gotten loose birdseed, but I think the bells are stuck together with digestable stuff, like suet or eggwhite.
[notify]

Bob CGC, TT,- CD- (2001-2010)

I'm Bob, you're- not... deal with- it!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '06 5:04pm PST 
wow dude,
I just hope you don't turn into no bird. My mom says cat food will turn us into cats!
I hope the same isn't true for bird seed!
If you start growing feathers make your mom take you to the vet, maybe they have an anti venom.
-Bob
[notify]
Dog Star- Sled Dogs

The dog is never- wrong!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '06 6:00pm PST 
Ranger loves bird seed. Kinda makes him have runny poop, but it just passes through whole.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '06 7:07pm PST 
Bird seed is fine in small quantities. Even in large quantities, the only thing it would do is probably give you diarrhea.

I have a cockatiel at home, and I rarely have to vacuum around her cage, b/c my two will clean up all the seeds and husks that she drops. In fact, they will even eat a little treat ball of seeds if I throw one to them. The treat bell, if that's what it was, probably had honey mixed in with the seeds, which is probably what attracted you to it.
[notify]
CH Jokar's- RC Pacific- Sojourn

Happy to be a- Canine Good- Citizen!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '06 7:37pm PST 
I tru;y expect the Weims to start singing to me any day now with the amount of birdseed they eat!! The odd thing is that they 0nly eat it off the ground in winter, not summer. Poops filled with birdseed are really hard to pick up as they crumble all over and are not easily scoopable. I cannot fathom why the dogs want to eat birdseed--the stuff can't have any taste, it can't smell good, and it sure as heck cannot be any fun to eat.
[notify]
Monty

It snowed!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '06 9:23am PST 
Harhar - Bob, you're funny!
You guys should see my poop - is it ever cool!!! My mommy says it looks like a night sky full of stars! I seem to be feeling fine today so I'm sure I'll be pooping funny for a while!

Hugs and slurps,
Monty
[notify]
Chaz

To Know Me is to- Love Me

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '06 1:21pm PST 
Hi Monty, I eat a little bird seed quite often and it has not bothered me. See, my big brother is a cockatiel and I eat whatever I can find around his cage. I have bird seed in my poop all the time and my poop is normal too. : )
[notify]