GO!

When is your dog too old to get neutered?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sydney

Who's the- champ!?!?!

Barked: Sat Jun 18, '05 10:00pm PST 
I have an 8 yr old pitbull and he still has his testicles. I'm worried he could develop testicular cancer. I noticed a lump but it went away. Is he too old to get them removed? What should I do?
[notify]
Sterling

Yes, I am the- Center of the- Universe

Barked: Sat Jun 18, '05 10:50pm PST 
Your dog is never too old to be neutered. I know several people who show their dogs ... and neuter their males after their show/breeding careers are over.
[notify]
Barney

Barney - born to- entertain

Barked: Sat Jun 18, '05 11:02pm PST 
I would take your dog to the vet and have his privates checked out, even though the lump is gone. Just because the lump is gone does not mean it's not serious. It could be an indication of something worse to come. The GOOD news is that the sooner something is diagnosed, the better it can be treated and even cured! Please don't take a chance and leave it unchecked...have your vet take a look at it so that he can treat it if there is something wrong. Your dog will thank you for it!!!
[notify]

CH Jokar's- RC Pacific- Sojourn

Happy to be a- Canine Good- Citizen!

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '05 4:31pm PST 
Both Sterling and Barney are right--it's never too late to neuter--and yes, I would definitely let the vet know about the lump that has 'disappeared'. There is a cancer called mast cell cancer that tends to have disappearing lumps, so I'd make that vet appointment as soon as you can.
Keep us posted!
[notify]
Buddy

The Worlds Most- Happy-Go-Lucky- Dog

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '05 12:42pm PST 
My aunt has a 9 year old golden/pit mix, and she just got him neutered a month or two ago. He's perfectly fine and dandy, on his merry way again. She, too, was worried about testicular cancer on her dog! I don't believe there is an age limit, as long as the dog is in otherwise good health!
[notify]
----Jordan--- --

Sweet & gentle- rabble rouser

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '05 1:07pm PST 
If you're in otherwise good health I think the operation would be ok. However I take issue with very elderly dogs being neutered -- there's no reason to, they're not horny and hardly ever leave home -- and the risks of anesthesia need to be considered.

Dogs do die from being put under.

Vets recommend it and go along with because it's an easy procedure / easy way to make money but if there's no behavioral problems and the owner does testicular checks I see no reason to put an old dog at risk. They've also been known to develop potty problems from being neutered at an older age.
[notify]
CH Jokar's- RC Pacific- Sojourn

Happy to be a- Canine Good- Citizen!

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '05 2:21pm PST 
Jordan, I'm curious--why would a male develop incontinence after being neutered? I've never heard of that. Some females will leak after being spayed, but I've never heard of it in the boys.

True--anesthesia is always a big concern. But there are pre-anesthesia tests that can be done to help lessen the chance of anything bad happening. Really old dogs maybe don't need to be messed with I guess, but by and large, neutering is always good for the health of the dog. There is more than just testicular cancer to be concerned with as far as neutering goes. There are other cancers to worry about too that would be helped by neutering.
[notify]
----Jordan--- --

Sweet & gentle- rabble rouser

Barked: Mon Jun 27, '05 9:58am PST 
CH - it wasn't incontinence I heard of but marking the house after neutering, and I can't say if it's physical (needing to go more often?) or psychological, probably the latter. I heard from an owner who had their chihuahua neutered after breeding him, and one rescue person who said sometimes this happened. I'm thinking of one dog who'd been adopted, was estimated over 10 yrs age, had weak, rotted teeth and arthritis, and the new owner thinks they're doing him a favor neutering him at the same time as the other treatments....I can't help think that is too much.

Over time the testes slow down production of hormones -- the body has it's own plan for aging, it isn't broiling with the hormones of youth because the testes are still there.

Just my opinion.....it'd be nice if there were studies determining which is better, but there isn't objectivity because public opinion is so swayed towards the positive social effects of spaying / neutering they want to assume positive physical effects for the dog too.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Mon Jun 27, '05 10:03am PST 
OK everyone go to DOGS club convo in other woofs and barks!
[notify]