GO!

Chihuahua ate chocolate

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

  
Jack (the- pumpkin- king)

like my coat?!
 
 
Barked: Mon Oct 31, '05 4:13pm PST 
Jack just licked the top of a chocolate cake clean. Should I be super worried? Take him to the vet now? He is fine now, no symptoms... what should I do?!
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence
 
 
Barked: Mon Oct 31, '05 4:19pm PST 
Chocolate is all about the dosage. A small amount shouldn't be too bad.

I'm assuming he ate the chocolate frosting? How much of it did he eat (or how big was the cake)?

Since he's a small guy I'd probably be a little concerned. Perhaps you should call your vet to ask what signs you should look for that all isn't well? My guess is if he starts shaking a lot or acting wierd or throwing up then those are bad signs. If he's acting normally, eating and drinking etc than he's probably fine.

Sabrina (in her separation anxiety days) has eaten lots of chocolate... chocolate bars, chocolate truffles, chocolate jello, chocolate chips, and she was fine. I was definately really really worried the first time it happened, though!

Keep us posted and good luck!
[notify]
Jamie

Puppy Power!
 
 
Barked: Mon Oct 31, '05 4:25pm PST 
It depends on the type, and dosage. smile Milk chocolate takes higher amounts to be toxic to dogs whereas baker's chocolate or dark chocolate takes smaller amounts to be toxic. Likewise a dogs weight has a lot to do with it, also.

I would keep a CLOSE eye on him. If he isn't throwing up or showing any symptoms then he should be fine. Some dogs have eaten chocolate before and been perfectly fine, not bothered at all. It just depends on the dog smile
[notify]

Snowy

A Doggie Scholar
 
 
Barked: Mon Oct 31, '05 5:01pm PST 
Can you describe the frosting that he ate? Was it chocolate flavored frosting (mostly frosting with some chocolate added) or was it one of those thick rich chocolate fosting? How much frosting did he eat?

It's possible that he might only start getting sick hours after he's eaten the frosting. Since he is a little guy, I would definately consult with a vet. Your vet may recommend using laxatives.

I'd also be worried about future accidents. It's possible that your dog may start craving chocolates now that he got a good taste of some. This might increase the chances of your dog searching for chocolates and stealing them while you are not looking. Please keep all chocolates far from his reach. smile
[notify]
Jack (the- pumpkin- king)

like my coat?!
 
 
Barked: Mon Oct 31, '05 7:15pm PST 
The chocolate frosting is a rich dark chocolate frosting. He licked...if I had to describe it...about a 3" square amount of frosting off the cake....he's eating and drinking, begged for food at dinner and seems normal....just keeping an eye on him....thanks for the response! Ya, I somehow thought that he wouldn't be able to get in a taped-up cake box wrapped in a plastic bag....now I know.
[notify]
Aurora

I love you, but- cats taste like- chicken!
 
 
Barked: Fri Nov 4, '05 5:30pm PST 
I'm bringing this back up because of an interesting chart I found. Here it is- http://pets.robbiehaf.com/chocolate.htm
Nice thing to have around!
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages
 
 
Barked: Fri Nov 4, '05 8:06pm PST 
Good Link! I added it to my favorites

I'm assuming Jack turned out okay because we haven't heard back.

Brody ate a really small amount of chocolate once and was bouncing off the walls. He was okay though.
[notify]
TK, CGC

Stop and lay in- the sunshine
 
 
Barked: Sat Nov 5, '05 7:44am PST 
I think TK and Lola are safe... They'd have to eat 4lbs of chocolate to be in trouble. I'M in trouble if I have to have 4 lbs of chocolate in my house!
[notify]
Cocoa Chanel

"I want to love- you."
 
 
Barked: Sat Nov 5, '05 9:40am PST 
I guess he's doing ok, since it's been a week. One time my male Chi, who is 6 lbs, ate a whole cup of chocolate pudding I forgot on the floor. He was fine, I don't think it was real chocolate, just flavored.
[notify]