GO!

Pigs Ears Safe?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gizmo

Don't make me do- it!

Barked: Fri Aug 25, '06 3:54pm PST 
I am very picky about what my puppy gets to chew on. I prefer only to give him nylabone products, but he loves his pigs ears and cow hooves. Are pigs ears and cow hooves safe? I never let him have them unless I am in the same room with him to keep an eye on him, but I am worried about his choking...is there a high risk of this occurring??
[notify]
♥- Sassy NPC- ♥

Save a Life &- Rescue

Barked: Fri Aug 25, '06 4:01pm PST 
I eat pig ears all the time. they are my favorite. My vet told me that dogs with small intestines like Doxies for one shouldn't have them because they get caught when trying to digest them causing problems. Mom always takes the last of my pigs ear away from me when it's small enough to swallow but large enough to choke on. I hope that helps.
[notify]
◊Kodiak- Bear- 1988-2000

Golden angel,- now I have wings

Barked: Fri Aug 25, '06 4:13pm PST 
They are fairly safe, but please, before you chew them, check to see if there are any pig-tags on them. Sometimes the ears roll, and can hide them.

I went to emergency when I got one stuck in my throat... survived, but NEVER again will mommy give any of us pig ears.

Cashew

Yep, I'm a nut- !!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 25, '06 4:50pm PST 
I use to give them to a my previous min pin. She loved them. My dogs I have had since then have not been to fond of them. I would definately watch eating them when they begin to get small in size. As most chew things, you should be watched while chewing them.
Happy Pig Ear Eating!!!
[notify]
Gizmo

Don't make me do- it!

Barked: Fri Aug 25, '06 5:21pm PST 
what are the pig tags i should check for? i looked and did not see anything unusual. i will definitely take it away when it gets to a size i dont consider to be safe for him. thank u!
[notify]
◊Kodiak- Bear- 1988-2000

Golden angel,- now I have wings

Barked: Fri Aug 25, '06 5:51pm PST 
They are what you see on a pig, hanging like an earring, but it is a 2 x 2 inch tag... with a number on it usually.

But the part that connects the front to the back is what I got stuck in my throat...

That part looks like a stuffed animal eye, I guess...
Tajah

Wanna play ball?

Barked: Fri Aug 25, '06 7:01pm PST 
I don't know if they're healthy or safe for you but man..what I would do for a pigs ear right now..I LOVE them!
[notify]
Tajah

Wanna play ball?

Barked: Fri Aug 25, '06 7:01pm PST 
I don't know if they're healthy or safe for you but man..what I would do for a pigs ear right now..I LOVE them!
[notify]
Gizmo

Don't make me do- it!

Barked: Wed Aug 30, '06 3:30am PST 
yes, we decided maybe gizmo loved them a bit too much. he became very possessive and has never been possessive of anything before.
[notify]
Sophie Sue

Check us out at- Dolittler.com!

Barked: Wed Aug 30, '06 7:59am PST 
Pig ears are indeed yummy but they do carry some risks: 1) they're fattening in a BIG way 2) veterinary dentists don't recommend them because of their propensity for breaking th tips off of teeth (definitely a bad thing)--ditto on the cow hooves 3) They're even more problematic than Greenies in terms of causing GI obstructions (Greenies get more of a bad rap because they were guaranteed to be safe--no company ever made that claim about a pig ear). I don't recommend them for the above three reasons. There's nothing yuckier than pulling a hunk of fibrous pig ear out of a swollen bit of intestine--Yuck! Enjoy your other toys smeared with peanut butter or some other yummy treat. It's safer and maybe just as much fun.

Dr. Patty Khuly
www.dolittler.com
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2