GO!

Help!!! MY dog can't walk!!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bisou CGC- TDI

Boney Baloney- Face

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 5:16am PST 
Yesterday I took him to the vet because he wasn't right. Very hot lethargic kinda off in the back. Was acting better when I took him to the vet, Temp of 103.8 heart sounded good lungs sounded good. Vet said he probably had a little virus. He got a shot of b-12, and a antidiareahal? shot. He said he could have a little baby aspirin and gave us some clavamox so he didn't get anything else will his immune system was down.

Was better all yesterday. gave him 1/2 baby aspirin and his clavamox 2x. befor bed he was running around and fetching.

3:00 a.m.

He can't come to me in bed. I freak, bawling.

My dad comes over and we pet him and talk to him. He seems to not be in any pain, very alert, but whimpers when he trties to stand but can't.
If made to stand he will but it is more balancing than anything. He walked about 2 ft. then collapsed. took him out to maybe potty and he stumbled around then lifted his leg and it got stuck. Most of the time his legs are drawn up tight but they will relax and he can move them. His tail also wags.

Please help any advice is appriciated. He is growling at my mom's dog but I think in play. He is sitting quietly on my moms lap with his doggy smile cause his bff stella is sitting with him. She is not allowed on the couch.
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 5:44am PST 
You should speak to your vet again. It sounds like he may be having spinal issues or intestinal pain....
nina

little- dog big- life

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 6:19am PST 
gros bises pour bisou!
try not to panic, this does sound like a back injury but most are healed up with rest and meds.
he should see the vet again pronto as quick response is key to recovery.
also, keep him in his crate to limit any movement, carry him to potty and don't let him attempt any walking.
hug
[notify]

Jasper- ♥ RIP- 5/29/13

Senior pets need- love too!

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 6:38am PST 
This JUST happened to Jasper. We got him from the shelter in June, and the guess was that he's about 5-6 years old. We knew he walked kinda funny, almost a hop. We noticed he couldn't really jump up on the sofa or bed because it hurt him. But Sunday night, he got up on the bed using Pokie's steps and for some reason JUMPED OFF rather than using the steps. He didn't immediately cry or anything, but the next morning wouldn't tell me "bye-bye" by accompanying me to the door before I left for work, which is odd because he ALWAYS wants to do that. When I got home around 6, neither dog came to greet me. I was sure that Pokie must have had a seizure and that Jasper was taking care of him. What I found was Jasper on the floor with his hindquarters quivering, wincing in pain and looking like he'd been down a good long while. I called my vet, and we checked his reflexes, tail wagging, legs moving, etc., and he told us to give him 2 baby aspirin, and I had some leftover prednisone and gave him one of those. By bed time, he was able to stand and walk about 10 feet to the bedroom, but collapsed on the floor. Had to carry him to his bed. We gave him another round of baby aspirin, and he was comfortable. He got up next morning and went outdoors to potty, but couldn't come back in. He kind of "froze" and I ended up carrying him in and back to bed. That day, I got some Rimadyl from our vet, and he's taking it twice daily. It made a HUGE difference. He's running and playing like a puppy! In his case, we think he pinched a nerve when he jumped down. He's back to going up and down the steps and everything. Hopefully, your dog is having similar issues that will be better with rest and maybe a short course of medicine. Hope that's all it is for you. Good luck!

Jasper's mom
[notify]
~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 6:57am PST 
Bisou frown I'm so sorry you are sick. Sounds like Jasper has some great advice. I wish I could help.

I hope you get better very soon. hughughug
[notify]
Bisou CGC- TDI

Boney Baloney- Face

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 7:29am PST 
Thanks guys. Vet opes at 10, I already called and spoke to receptionist. Right now he is comfortably laying on a heating pad on low, ocassionally stretching. 30min to go.
[notify]
Bisou CGC- TDI

Boney Baloney- Face

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 8:31am PST 
Went to vet. Vet thinks neurological. Calling to schedule x-rays.
[notify]
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 8:32am PST 
poor bisou! we wish you a speedy recovery, little dood!

[notify]
~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 8:34am PST 
hug Bisou hug
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 8:35am PST 
Is it possible he has a VERY high fever?? and if so, the heating pad could do more harm than good.

I have had a very high fever, and I gotta tell you, I couldn't walk. I couldn't balance... I could barely lift my head.

My entire body hurt.

Now, the description of his leg getting stuck makes me think not, but just wondering.

Hope you feel better soon!hug
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3