GO!

a word on Collie

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kar-Ki

melloww

Barked: Mon Jul 14, '08 3:26pm PST 
Hi there
I have been doing a lot of reading! and I really interested in owning a Collie... But no book is like an experienced owner !

Please tell me as an owner of Collie, are they really like what books says about them?

Characteristic, training, level of clam-ness...
Are they do okay as the only pet in the house?

thank you
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Jul 14, '08 3:40pm PST 
Well, I am not a Collie owner, but I too have read a LOT about them and talked to owners and met 2 of them.
I may not own a Collie, but I own a dog that is supposedly part Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie), and that is commonly and wrongly called a "miniature Collie".
Generally speaking, Collies are calm and gentle.
They will bark when bored. They need playtime and exercise to help prevent that.
Collies can do well as an only pet.
Marking can become a problem with any breed.
Collies are generally fast learners and easy to teach.
Collies do best as an indoor dog.
A Collie's energy is generally medium-high.
The best place, IMO, to get a Collie is from a reputable breeder or Collie-specific rescue group. (see cookiemiller.tripod.com).
Collies are one of my absolute favorite breeds, so I love to read about them, talk to owners, and meet them.

But wait for Woodie, he can tell you much more than I can.
[notify]
Dart

Fuzz-butty- McButty

Barked: Fri Aug 15, '08 3:32pm PST 
As far as training goes, they're smart but kind of sensitive. You need more patience than me. XD
Collies are in general very sweet and easy-going with the family, although some, I've read, are a little reserved around strangers. They can be kind of sensitive too; arguments can freak them out. Come to think of it, laughing really hard can freak Dart out. o_O
They do fine as an only dog... and maybe some prefer it. They also generally like to play with other collies or herding dogs.

Hope that helped some. smile

Edited by author Fri Aug 15, '08 3:34pm PST

[notify]

Beau *in- memory*

Nahh ahh! I am- too a lap dog

Barked: Sun Aug 24, '08 9:22am PST 
I guess it depends on what book you read really. But heres what I've learned from my collie, what I've read and others I met:

-They are intelligent dogs, this does not mean however that they need less training it just means they pick up and retain commands easier. They also get easily bored so you have to vary their training routine. Befor I rescued my collie he was trained to walk out the back gate of the owners yard, walk across the fenced park, to the gate at their young sons school and wait to pick him up (seriously)

-They shed, year round the only difference is that at certain times of year they shed worse and it comes out in clumps. The long caot needs regular brushing, but with it is fairly easy to kep mat free. Smooths shed as much as roughs (they are still double coated) but require less coat care

-They are moderate-high activity level. It's not as bad as you may think. They are no worse than any labrador retriever I have met. They need daily exercise but they are content to lounge around the house afterwards

-If socialized they are extremally friendly and not as reserved as a border collie or aussie may be. They are excedingly loyal and make perfect guard dogs.They make excellent therapy dogs and can thrive at any dog sport you choose, I have even seen them do search and rescue, police work, and carting.

-I have heard issues of barking, but it is usually bordem barking. Managable through exercise. They will also give off warning barks if they hear something, they will even 'taddle' on your other pets or kids if they are up to no good. I have had great sucess teaching my collie and aussie the quiet command.
[notify]
Lance

Lancer

Barked: Fri Jan 30, '09 6:22pm PST 
I am an owner of 2 Smooth Collies are they are the love of our lives.
They only took half an hour to house break, highly trainable,
no aggression, but great watch dogs. They know the difference of a
real young toddler and an older child to play with. They are non-
distructive in the house and loves to interact with everyone and other
dogs, animals and so on... Smooths have short hair, and is easy
to maintain!

Edited by author Fri Jan 30, '09 6:24pm PST

[notify]