Close X
GO!

Protection Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Puppy

Barked: Sat Jan 17, '15 11:18am PST 
I don't know the dog I have chosen for myself, therefor I need to know that which kind of dog will save me whether I am walking on the street or running by the river side. Will be grateful to all of you who will suggest me.
Thanks!
[notify]
Jon Snow

I build my own- fires.

Barked: Mon Jan 19, '15 3:11am PST 
What breed of dog did you get? A GSD?

Some dogs naturally are protective for their owners. However, certain breeds excel at this more than others.

Rottweilers, GSDs, Beaucerons, Malinois, Dutch Shepherd, Dobermans... are guardian breeds towards their owners/families.

You can train a dog in personal protection (check your state for training facilities) . That way you have a dog who knows how to protect, when to protect, has an off switch when it's not needed and when to act and when not to act.

If you are serious about personal protection, invest in the training for it. A dog trained in personal protection is more reliable and confident about it's job than a dog never trained. There have been many people who got rottweilers expecting it to be a pro right off the bat with no experience or training and when presented with a real situation, end up bolting off.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Mon Jan 19, '15 10:18am PST 
I think Tibetan mastiffs make good guard dogs too. smile
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Jan 24, '15 4:38pm PST 
A dog that will naturally protect you is different than a dog that is trained to protect you. I always recommend the latter since the chances of a dog that will bite without training having good nerves and not being a liability are low to none.

As far as dogs that will protect you with training a lot depends on what your lifestyle is rather someone will recommend one breed over the other. Things like what kind of energy can you deal with, and what kind of coat care you can deal with make a huge difference with breeds that are recommended.
[notify]
Jasper- (1998~2016)

Ignorance is a- Choice

Barked: Thu Feb 19, '15 6:40pm PST 
1. Airedale Terrier
2. Akita
3. American Bulldog
4. American Bully
5. American Pit Bull Terrier
6. American White Shepherd
7. Anatolian Shepherd Dog
8. Australian Cattle Dog
9. Australian Shepherd
10. Boxer
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 22, '15 9:43am PST 
The protection of dog is really very important, if you would not provide it protection, how it would provide you the protection.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 1, '15 7:10pm PST 
I think Service Dog which is a type of assistance dog specifically trained to help people who have disabilities including visual difficulties, hearing impairments, mental illness, seizures, diabetes, autism, and more. so If you want to take service dog you can contact with animalidshop.com which is the best organisation in US.

May hope my recommendation help for you!
[notify]
Toto, CD,- RN, CGC

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 2, '15 3:23pm PST 
Guest, this site you keep promoting ONLY offers fake id's for sale to anyone who wants one. ID's ARE NOT required for "real" service dogs and it is a great disservice to support a company in the business of selling fake ones.
SD's take real training and lots of work...paying for a fake ID does NOT make the process any easier, all it does is make the purchaser of the ID a faker!!!
[notify]
Love Shack

What's an- off-switch?

Barked: Sun Apr 12, '15 9:39am PST 
I would never recommend a dog like an APBT or American Bully as a "protection dog" - bad idea, ending in itself. If you want basic protection, get a gun, not a dog wink
[notify]
Azkaban

I take up 75% of- the bed.

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '16 4:53pm PST 
I'd like to pop in here and say that businesses have the right to assert the belief that dogs trained in personal protection are considered weapons, and thus can be rightfully excluded from a building. Meaning dogs trained in bite work and other personal protection can not be an ADA protected service dog, regardless of the owner's disability or whether the dog has a task. The ADA does not protect an owner's desire to train their service animal in protection work, so you can be legally denied access if your dog poses a direct threat to other patrons (I.E being trained in protection work). You can find a more fluent explanation here: http://servicedogcentral.org/content/protection-training

I'm not sure that this poster was even considering or eligible for a service dog and I believe the above poster is soliciting a product.

To the OP, I'd suggest finding a trainer willing to work with you, and even help you choose a breed. I'd do a good bit of research on your rights regarding protection dogs in your area, and how you'll need to address legal problems should your dog wrongfully attack another person, or even attack another person while you're being directly threatened.
[notify]