GO!

Dry mouths??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Fri Feb 28, '14 9:38am PST 
Do some breeds/dogs just tend to have drier mouths than others? Most dogs I've met, at least the ones that give kisses, give big sloppy kisses and my hand or face will end up coated in slobber (yuck! lol) or they drool a bit even if it's a breed/mix not known for drooling. My dogs tend to have really dry mouths. If Lily gives kisses her tongue is practically dry and she leaves no gross coating of slobber on my hand or face. Scruffy is not a big kisser and rarely gives kisses but same thing. Starr was never a big kisser either, but same thing. So do some dogs or breeds just tend towards drier mouths than others?
[notify]
Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Thu Mar 20, '14 9:07am PST 
My borzoi has a very dry mouth. There's never any excess strings of drool or foamy stuff hanging out of his mouth or in the pockets of his mouth waiting to slop on you if you lean in for a kiss, even if he's just run really hard. His kisses are just perfect as well, in my opinion. No slime, foam, or stinkiness. I don't like having slime left on me after a dog's licked my hand or my face - just not my cup of tea.

Even when he drinks, he's not all sloppy afterwards. He drinks his water very politely as well. I just like dryer mouths on dogs. All the borzoi I know are like this as well. lol

Edited by author Thu Mar 20, '14 9:09am PST

[notify]
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Dirt is a girls- best friend!

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 1:45pm PST 
Short answer is, yes. Long answer is, yeeeeeeeeeees.

Breed has a lot to do with it because of the shape of the muzzle and jowls but I have heard that some breeders of drooly type dogs will purposely try to breed puppies that don't drool as much. I believe it was with one of the mastiff breeds that I first heard about a breeder doing that. shrug

Edited by author Wed Mar 26, '14 1:47pm PST

[notify]

Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 5:42am PST 
It could also depend on how much your dog mouth breathes. Nicky has his mouth hanging open quite a lot and Paris doesn't. Mine have different slobber consistencies as well. When Nicky licks me it feels like water- no sticky residue, but when Paris licks me her slobber is very very slimy!

Edited by author Thu Mar 27, '14 5:44am PST

[notify]