GO!

Help me advise a friend who wants a labradoodle

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hershey

When you're- chocolate, life- is sweet!

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 8:41pm PST 
Mommy's friend has been talking with this breeder. Mommy has misgivings. Thoughts?
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 5:53am PST 
$2200-$2500?!?!?!
And that includes a premature spay/neuter, and only 24 months of health guarantee?

I'm sorry, if I was paying that insane amount of money for a mixed breed dog, I would want a heck of a lot more freedom with my dog and more of a guarantee.
The only "positive" I see here, is that the OFA, CERF, PRA, vWD, and EIC are claimed to be done. (Though as we've seen with another breeder false claims do happen, I'd check out the online databases for those tests that have them).
[notify]
Hershey

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 8:30am PST 
Thanks, Cobain! Mommy was shocked at the price, too! These are mixed-breed dogs, right? But she looked up other lab-doo breeder websites locally and found prices up to $3000! shock
[notify]

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 9:28am PST 
I find that to be WAY too much personally.

Do you know what exactly she wants in a dog? There are so many breeds out there with so many more predictable traits than this mixed breed.
While I myself am not well versed on the curly coated breeds, has she considered breeds such as the Portuguese Water Dog, Standard Poodle etc.?
[notify]
Hershey

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 6:26pm PST 
They've been toying with the idea of getting a dog for years. It's the 11-year-old daughter who really wants one; the parents are more cat people, and they do have a cat. They've wandered from breed to breed, I'm not sure why lab-doo is now at the top of the list. shrug
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 11:29am PST 
I would advise them to look at another breed. Every Doodle I've met had bouncing off the walls crazy energy. They are a dog that needs to be worked.
[notify]
Hershey

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 7:34pm PST 
way to go Thanks, Nicky! That sure doesn't sound like a good fit fur them! dog
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 7:50pm PST 
If they're cat people, they will want to be looking at more aloof breeds. Labradoodles can inherit that from the Poodle side, but it's totally hit or miss. Most 'Doodles are completely off the walls with energy and all over the place in terms of which traits they inherit.

Is fur an issue? A lot of people go for 'Doodles over the low-shed claim, but it's also totally hit or miss. Plus, even if they don't shed, the coat is very often a terrible mix of extremely long, wiry fur, or super soft, long, fluffy fur - both of which are an absolute nightmare to maintain. In any case, if fur is NOT an issue, it opens a lot of breed possibilities, like certain Spitz breeds, which tend toward being more cat-like.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Sep 15, '13 11:46am PST 
Oh dear Hershey.....I swoon every time I see you cloud 9

Here is what I can say, and will offer to breed match for them if they'd like me to do that.

A Doodle is a mix between two very proven and iconic breeds. No one has ever been able to represent to me (or anyone of sound and non-profiteering mind) why a Doodle is in ANY way superior to a Standard Poodle. Or equivalent to. If you *want* a breed, you need to stick with something well established and of earned reputation so that you can be reasonably assured of getting the dog you are expecting. Going for one of these mixes is not compatible with that, even moreso when what you simply want is a pet.

Beyond this, as "cat people" a Doodle seems a very poor choice. High maintenance sort, higher energy, often bumptious when young, can be more difficult train than either of their parent types. It seems to me if more cat driven they should go with something more cat like. Self sufficient, lower key, moderate maintenance needs, also with the proper personality and trainability to suit the first time dog owner.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sun Sep 15, '13 4:35pm PST 
Nothing makes me cringe quite like the phrase "labradoodle breeder."

I agree with what everyone else has said regarding the temperament and high maintenance nature of these mixes. I have met a couple of very nice, mellow doodles - but they were both 1) 7+ years in age and 2) the anomaly.

If they didn't have a cat, I would suggest a greyhound or whippet. They're pretty easy keepers and have minimal grooming needs, but many of the ones I've met cannot be trusted around cats. With enough looking for the right dog/training, they could make it work I'm sure.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2