GO!

Neverest labs?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 5:44pm PST 
Anyone know neverest labs?
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 6:26pm PST 
I haven't heard of them before, but I decided to check out their site.

They seem pretty reputable according to my personal standards.

They only have around 10 dogs, which is a good amount on my part.

The dogs are all OFA certified, and I saw that quite a few of their dogs had hips rated as "excellent".

They seem to really care about their dogs, hence the name "Neverest"!

They send the puppies home at the right time, and breed the dogs at appropriate times.

One thing that does concern me is that they generally have 4-6 litters per year.

Overall I'd say that they're pretty trustworthy.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 1:48pm PST 
Definitely in it for the money. For what they ask for their pups you can go to far better and proven breeders (meaning people that actually do something to better the breed).

That they do compulsory c section deliveries is weird and inappropriate.

That they require a $10/day charge for keeping a pup past 8 weeks is weird and inappropriate.

That they have soooo many complaints coming from buyers is startling. Just google "Neverest Complaints" and you'll get a whole slew of pretty ugly business dealings.

I would DEFINITELY pass.
[notify]

Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 2:21pm PST 
I went onto the site and checked out Trigger's information. Way to go Trigger! I guess that I'm just not very observant. I was like "SERIOUSLY?! A $10 per day charge for keeping a puppy past eight weeks? That's just ridiculous. I think that they care about their dogs, they just are ridiculous. As I said before, another clue is that they have 4-6 litters per year.

The pups are over $1000 a pop, so multiply that times 8 (which seems to be the average litter size these days, and you have about $8000 a litter. Then, with 5 litters a year, you have $40000.

Also, I read a complaint that said that WI has a law on how many litters per year a dog breeder can have. The limit is three. BYB. The same issue with the cats. They have at least four litters a year.

They do have tons of complaints, but I got tired and closed out of the page.

Thanks Trigger for pointing out things that my dumb eyes missed! laugh out loud
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 2:42pm PST 
Trigger, do you know any lab breeders that may have an adult dog (like 2 years old) that could be fit for service dog work?
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 3:33pm PST 
Honestly Charlie, I don't know squat about service work.

The breeders I know as reputable focus squarely on high drive and I'm not sure that's what you'd be after.

I hope my ignorance doesn't offend but I'm wondering if rescue might be an option. At two temperament and drive would be pretty well established. As long as you've got a healthy dog with a desire to please I think you'd be pretty well set up. I think that's where several service dog training organizations pull from don't they? If you're wanting to do the work on your own even just enlisting the help of a solid behaviorist could help you weed through your options.

If you don't mind my asking what sort of tasks are you needing assistence with? Mobility? (A big English type brute would be a better bet over the more lofty fieldy's). Task work? (You might do better with one that has higher drive and more energy).

There are loooooads everywhere. It's not tough to find a great one and for a heck of a lot cheaper than $1200+
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 3:36pm PST 
No worries Delta lol. I'm just hyper critical when it comes to prices like that. Lab breeders are a dime a dozen and it's sad that although they may have nice dogs, they're not up to snuff with bettering the breed in ways I see as pertinent (yet are charging the same prices as those who actually are).

Makes me sad to see so many have been duped into spending so much!!!
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 3:43pm PST 
No worries Delta lol. I'm just hyper critical when it comes to prices like that. Lab breeders are a dime a dozen and it's sad that although they may have nice dogs, they're not up to snuff with bettering the breed in ways I see as pertinent (yet are charging the same prices as those who actually are).

Makes me sad to see so many have been duped into spending so much!!!
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 7:00am PST 
Charlie Chaplin, where are you located?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 7:56am PST 
Ok, I'm reading through the "slew" of complains on Neverest and what I'm seeing is pretty standard fare for a larger kennel. IE, several nasty ones (which the breeder, on several occasions, actually took the time to respond to in a professional manner) and plenty of positive ones. To put it short, these sort of complaints would not deter me from contacting this person if I was interested, I would rather see for myself in this instance.

Second, where on earth are you getting $1200 being over priced for a good quality pet? Maybe field Lab breeders hack prices below this line, but for ANY other breeder I have personally looked into, $1200-1500 is all very standard.

I'm all for breeders keeping puppies longer, you get a BIG thumbs up for me keeping them 10-12 weeks, BUT... big but... most breeders don't and that's just a fact of life. They are a slightly larger kennel, its not unreasonable that they simply don't have the extra space or kennel staff to dedicate to them past what they have already planned. This, again, would not necessarily turn me off from a breeder. I would LIKE one who would release at 10 weeks... but good luck finding it in most large, working breeds.

Multiple litters a year, wouldn't even think twice about it. If the quality of the operation is good, the dogs are all being handled correctly and they have the kennel staff to manage it, doesn't bother me one bit. Personally, I prefer buying from somewhat larger kennels... I like a breeder who has enough stock and is working with enough dogs to have a big-picture view of what is being produced from them. Small kennels are great and I'll say no malice towards them, but if you only have 2-3 dogs that you're breeding once every couple of years... how much do you REALLY know about those lines, what and how they produce?

C-section things is weird, I would want more info.

I get that these aren't hard-lining field dogs tearing after ducks all day... that's what TRIGGER wants... but its not what everyone wants, and its not what most people need. I know opinions are hot regarding what any given breed "should" be, what its drives should be like to maintain its original purpose, so on. But frankly, I'm not seeing anything here that outright turns me away. Again, in such a situation, I would actually go and TALK to these people, see the kennel and the dogs, get an ACTUAL feel for what they are like before making judgments based on what random people are saying on the internet.

Edited by author Wed Sep 11, '13 7:57am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4