GO!

Extensive List of Worst Puppies for Newbies

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 5:44pm PST 
I was going to mention the CO, but wasn't sure how many people know what it is. That is definitely the number 1 dog that should never be given to a first time dog owner. shrug Tyler, What were the breeders thinking? I think it's a disaster waiting to happen. shock
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 1:26am PST 
The only 'terriers' I'd recommend are the maltese 'terrier', silky 'terrier' and yorkshire 'terrier', lol!
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 9:28am PST 
Jax, according to the new owners, the "breeders" had imported their dogs from Europe somewhere to guard their property but hadn't realised when a bitch comes into season.....

It was all rather suspect and things didn't add up. They were selling the pups at discounted prices and obviously don't care where the pups go. Just a case of irresponsible owners, again.

Just as worrying was an online ad for TWO 5 month old CO pups from yet another suspect owner who claims to have imported the dogs from the "best bloodlines" in Europe. But wants to sell both pups as one is showing food aggression "but is ok with teenagers" and the other is growing to large! When emailed advice from some members on this forum I was on, it was very clear what kind of person he was when he told everyone "where to go" and boasted that he didn't need the money as he lived in a mansion and didn't need any advice etc etc....

The ad was later removed. But I'm shocked just recently at how many irresponsible people are selling and buying these puppies!
[notify]

Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 10:52am PST 
Words cannot express how sooo not thrilled I was to see Ovcharka and Tosa on the AKC FSS list. If ever there were 2 breeds that should be kept out of the public eye those would be them. Pretty much everything I would list has been mentioned already.
[notify]
Trig

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 3:41pm PST 
There is a "good" puppy for first time dog owners? I guess that is all relative. Personally, I think that Chihuahuas are terrible first time puppies. Not because of any particular behavior problems (though they have their share, housebreaking in particular!), but because they are so fragile. I suppose that might be true for any small breed, but I only have experience with Chihuahuas. Of the problems I can think of that I have personally seen: hypoglycemia, a soft spot on their head that never closes (more common with apple heads), and getting dropped, stepped on, closed in doors, choked by children, or sat on. Not to mention how easy it is for them to be killed by another dog, especially when people take them to big dog parks "because s/he thinks s/he is a big dog!"
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 5:39pm PST 
Tyler, at one time, I was curious about the CO's. After doing the research, I realized that it was not the dog for me. Two of the breeder's websites, that I was on, stated several times that these dogs are not for everyone. You must be an experienced dog owner and these dog "MUST be carefully handled, thoroughly trained and completely socialized". The reputable breeders, (at least I think they were reputable), will not sell an intact dog. They are all sterilized before they are sold. Unfortunately, not everyone cares what happens to the puppies they raise. I wish there was a way to control the way people breed and sell dogs to just anyone without being the slightest bit responsible for what happens to the pups. Kali's breeder repossessed one of the pups she sold, because she found out the pup was abused and neglected. way to go I suppose this could be a new thread. Sorry for hijacking this thread.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 8:55am PST 
I agree with Trig in that not just Chis, but all tiny dogs can be challenging for newbies. Because of how small they are, health problems in general are dramatically amplified. This goes throughout the life of the dog, but is definitely more serious with puppies.

Additionally, they're so small they need more frequent potty breaks, and it's often difficult to see when they are beginning to squat to potty. I think a lot of the "small dogs can't be housetrained" comes from this - the owner simply wasn't skilled enough to catch what was happening and manage it better.

Training offers additional challenges, for instance, people have developed all sorts of tricks to using a lure to teach walking at side, because you simply can not bend over to lure a 5lb dog while you walk.

These things are more manageable than extreme behavioral traits, I think, provided the owner is committed to paying extra attention and seeking out the tricks other tiny dog owners and trainers have developed. Unfortunately, what seems to happen much of the time is that people get the dog and just give up, writing the problems off as "oh well, he's small."
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 9:08am PST 
I wanted to put in a separate post for Huskies, because it is a different topic and I do have a lot to say.

I believe the issue with Huskies is not so much that they are bad dogs for beginners, but that they are very different than the popular perception of what a dog should be. I have known loving, dedicated, people who have had dogs for decades, who should not have Huskies. This is part of why so many rescues ask for BREED experience, rather than general dog experience.

In that regard, I have seen first time owners do BETTER with Huskies than people who have had breeds like Golden Retrievers or German Shepherds for decades. The beginner has no preset expectation of loyalty, trainability, or off-lead behavior. Of course it can and often does go the other way too - Hence why I have all 3 of my Huskies.

The biggest "not for newbies" issue I can think of is the tendency toward mouthiness and resource guarding. There are other things, but these are a matter of research. If you want a cat-like companion to hang out with you all day after your on-leash, 5 mile morning run, and while you go hiking in the evening, then a Husky may be just fine with you.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 9:08am PST 
I wanted to put in a separate post for Huskies, because it is a different topic and I do have a lot to say.

I believe the issue with Huskies is not so much that they are bad dogs for beginners, but that they are very different than the popular perception of what a dog should be. I have known loving, dedicated, people who have had dogs for decades, who should not have Huskies. This is part of why so many rescues ask for BREED experience, rather than general dog experience.

In that regard, I have seen first time owners do BETTER with Huskies than people who have had breeds like Golden Retrievers or German Shepherds for decades. The beginner has no preset expectation of loyalty, trainability, or off-lead behavior. Of course it can and often does go the other way too - Hence why I have all 3 of my Huskies.

The biggest "not for newbies" issue I can think of is the tendency toward mouthiness and resource guarding. There are other things, but these are a matter of research. If you want a cat-like companion to hang out with you all day after your on-leash, 5 mile morning run, and while you go hiking in the evening, then a Husky may be just fine with you.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 10:36am PST 
I think dog with coats like poodle, shih-tzu etc that need life long grooming sometimes aren't the greatest. It's a huge pet peeve of mine when people don't groom their dogs. confused I have a friend that grooms and I don't know how she does it, I wouldn't have any clients left after I reemed them all out. She has to shave dogs down to the skin more often than not because people don't want to bring them in often or brush them at home.

I helped her groom a toy poodle puppy and we couldn't even touch his face, she told the owner to take a comb and touch it to his face every day and work up to combing his face so she could cut his hair next time. The owner just looked at her and said she couldn't possibly do that because he bites.

When I got Jem I left her have about a week to settle into her new home and then she was on the table every single day for months. Every day I did something and now at 6 months I've pulled back to once a week because she stands like a rock and offers me her feet.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4