GO!

GSD Breeder

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 7: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 9:18am PST 
Wow. That's pretty shocking that they've never heard of the disease! I think they might be telling a porky there.

I know very little about GSD's, but on a mission, I went on a little search and found this breeder. Although you most likely have come across them already, Sabi. Very nice looking dogs for starters. I don't know whether they test all their dogs for DM, but I see one of their males is.

Also, another one here which does state ALL dogs are tested for DM before being considered for breeding.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 1:14pm PST 
I am just so frustrated. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of breeders in the US and Canada and trying to weed through them is truly daunting.
I know I want Czech/DDR breeding, so I can discount half of them right away but it takes hours of searching, day after day.
I take that list and start looking for health testing. Knock out another half.
Look specifically for DM testing, email inquiries to those who haven't posted the info, knocks out a bunch more.
Them I pick my top 3 based on the dogs alone, they ignore or refuse me. I talk to a few more, same thing.
We have 2 large shows a year here, and they attract Canadian breeders, of course. And working dogs often don't do well in confirmation rings, so that's a bust. The GSD club locally is full of rude, 'pedigree blind' people, so that's a bust.
I have tried owner recommendations, but I have to say a good many owners are clueless. I tried several GSD forums, but they tend to be 'clicky' and the second you mention anything other then 'this breeder' your shut out.
It's just a big huge circle of crap.
The breeder that I initially was set with is not working out, a postponed breeding I could take, no problem. But switching studs at the last second, from a clear to a carrier, is a no go. Especially when people have put up deposits prior to the breeding. And of the 2 bitches now left, one is AT RISK. No way no how.
So I look at her circle, kennels she works with. But they won't talk to me because I talked to her. She knows there is NO chance of me taking anything but a CLEAR pup, I stated that right from day one. She cannot do that in the foreseeable future, so really why block me from getting a pup elsewhere.
Seriously, I just give up.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 3:18pm PST 
Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. Unfortunately, some circles are clicky. shrug

Edited by author Wed Mar 26, '14 3:27pm PST

[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 1:32pm PST 
hug Sabi, I know nothing of German shepherds and have no experience of finding a legitimate breeder so if I say something stupid please forgive me.

The 2 ideas that come to mind are looking into German bred shepherds from Germany or Europe and looking at a related breed that has fewer health issues.

I am sure that importing a puppy from Europe would be very expensive but if it gets you the puppy you want/need it could be worth it.

I know that you love German shepherds but are there other breeds of dog that perhaps share some history or breeding with them? Have you looked at or thought about other breeds?

Just an idea and please forgive me if it isn't a good idea, I meant no offence at all.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 2:06pm PST 
Hi Sabi,

First, I am truly sorry to hear that you are losing your friend and family member in the near future. I have been following this thread intently since you and others recommended getting a GSD in the “Which Working Dog” thread I started. The difficulty that you are having is disheartening. The breeding issues and having to put an animal down at a young age are the reasons that I was looking at another breed in the first place. I had no luck at all finding a breeder for GSDs. I was really hoping that you were going to find one that you could recommend. Like you, I am beginning to wonder if I will be able to get new puppy at all. At this point, I understand why my friends and Vet suggested that I look at a Belgian. Please let me know if you do find a good breeder. I wish you all the best and I hope that you find the puppy that is right for you.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 8:20pm PST 
Fritz that's what I have been doing since losing my GSD. I just don't feel like I can get another GSD right now after losing Bianca so young...and with all the health/temperament issues I keep seeing and it being so hard to find a really good breeder, etc... So I ended up looking into other breeds that are somewhat similar. My current plan is to get a Beauceron. Of course, that breed has their own issues and it is also hard to find/research a breeder since they are not common in the US!
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Fri Mar 28, '14 12:19am PST 
Fritz, I debated other breeds. My criteria rule them out.

Large
Low grooming needs
All weather, remember I live in Canada
Active, hiking, swimming, running, etc
Good with livestock and other pets
family friendly, stranger not friendly
Able to be a working dog if required
Trainability
Good off switch
Intelligent enough to be fun to outsmart
Stubborn enough to be a challenge

And must be a German Shepherd
laugh out loudlaugh out loud

Importing is a last resort.

Guest and Bianca, I am working on some leads. I am seriously handicapped by a total lack of pedigree knowledge.

Guest, Sabi has been gone for nearly 6 months now (has it really been that long????)but thank you.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Mar 28, '14 5:29am PST 
Sabi hughughughughug I know you will find your puppy somewhere, someday. Sending positive energy your way.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Mar 28, '14 10:31am PST 
Don't give up, Sabi. We ALL have had our frustrations. I'd be glad to help you anytime. There is no substitute for a GSD. Plenty of other nice breeds (says I, now a Giant Schnauzer person), but there is no substitute.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Fri Mar 28, '14 11:12am PST 
I got a call the other day about some pups in a rescue. Tough, really tough but I said no. I debated for a minute and then remembered why I said a breeder pup.

Tiller, Lindsay was great. She just can't provide what I want. I did double check with Valiantdale wink No DM testing.

However, just in case anyone ever reads this and would like one Royalair is testing and has been for a while.
And in all my poking I have run into dozens of would be pet owners who are having the same issue I am.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 7: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7