GO!

I MET AN ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD!!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Wed May 29, '13 9:34pm PST 
Just wanted to share my sheer joy!! I've never before had the pleasure of meeting an Anatolian Shepherd until tonight! SQUEEEEEEEE!!! I'm in love!!
The owner was shocked I knew right off what breed she was!
What a lovely dog! The size, the build, the expression! She greeted me so calmly and seconds later was giving me body-leans. Oh gosh I am a sucker for the leaning!!! What I can't get over, too, was the softness of her coat!! Would not have guessed that from pictures!!
Anyway I basically just wanted to gush! Haha I figured y'all Dogsters would understand. --Any Dogsters have an Anatolian?? I'm smitten!!!
cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed May 29, '13 11:24pm PST 
I'm jealous nowfrown I have always wanted to see one in real life. And they lean? Oh one of the things I truly miss about my Dane, I love the lean. Where on earth did you see one?
[notify]
Duncan

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 9:16am PST 
It was just so awesome....I've been giddy since last night!! I've met and known so many dogs and many of what are considered "rare breeds" but never, ever before an Anatolian. What a THRILL!!!
The way I met her was funny! I've been working for friends of mine that own a pizza shop and lately, I've been doing delivering. So I went to the house to deliver food. Saw the dog at first through a leaded glass window in the front door - thought "could it be....?" And the guy answered the door and at the same time said, do you like dogs? And when I nodded he let her out to greet me. Gushing ensued!!
The owner was proud and very happy to talk all about her. Said she's great with other dogs and animals, wonderful with kids. He said she seems to have great instincts about who is an intruder and who's a friendly visitor. She likes riding in the car. He said he's had many dogs all his life and she is "the best animal [he's] ever owned."
The owners are a middle-aged (50's or so?) couple living in a suburban neighborhood. Not necessarily where I'd have thought I'd meet an Anatolian but there she was!!
And YES!!! I love the lean so much! It's funny when we were talking about the lean I mentioned other breeds that seem to do it a lot, Great Danes were at the top of my list (I was thinking also of greyhounds and dobes)(what other breeds lean a lot? hmmm). The Anatolian owner was joking he should have named his dog "Eileen." big grin

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 9:28am PST 
I lived with one before. They are very intelligent and fiercely independent. This is a pure working breed of dog and not for the average pet owner. They can be as tough as a wolf hybrid.

The one I lived in was in the wrong hands and was seldom walked. The dog owner told me she gets exercise when she was tied up. shock I would walk this dog frequently and she was very dog aggressive, but was getting better. This is not a breed for inexperienced people. this dog would be a good pet for someone who hikes for miles and needs protection from wild animals.

The dog was really good at escaping and could open the door if it was not locked. She also climbed out of a sunroof and jumped out of a moving vehicle. The dog was constantly trying to escape. The poor dog was not happy being restrained in the house as a pet. Add lack of exercise and mental stimulation and you have the most difficult dog I have ever met.

They can be pets if you are one who walks miles everyday and has dog experience with socializing. Dog aggression is natural with livestock guardian breeds.

This breed is not uncommon where I live. I have met 2 of them in 8 years.
[notify]
Duncan

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 10:18am PST 
Wow, that's interesting Milton! It's always a fascination how breeds are geographically dispersed.

That Anatolian you lived with sounds like a HANDFUL!!! I wonder what the owners of the dog I met were doing "right" because it's clearly something. They're in love with their dog, she looked content and healthy and seemed so well mannered. We didn't get into any discussions about how they raised and socialized her as a puppy, and their exercise and training routines now. I bet they put a lot of work into her to have such a nice dog!!
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 10:40am PST 
How awesome!! It's weird because I always get Anatolian in the top 10 whenever I take those breed match quiz things... and Anatolians are SO not for me! Would be nice but... no laugh out loud
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 12:41pm PST 
It's interesting how regional differences play such a large part in what is considered a common dog breed in an area! smile

LGDs, including Anatolians are very common in my relatively rural region. Lots of Maremmas (met one for the first time last fall), Akbash, Pyrs, and mixes of these breeds. Most actually do serve as guardians, but the usual mixed breed litters in my area usually includes Shepherd, Lab, husky, and a dash of LGD.

Most sighthounds are not common in my area and will turn heads, same with poodles. smile
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 1:00pm PST 
Sometimes you find out there's something in your area that blows your mind too, there are tibetan mastiffs in my OB class!! The breeder was bringing her 15 week old puppies but a couple found homes so she's going to bring an adult next class! I heard her say her litter was the only register litter in Canada so far this year!! It's already MAY! shock

Edited by author Thu May 30, '13 1:00pm PST

[notify]
Duncan

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 6:35pm PST 
Looks like that could describe Rexy herself, do you know her breed mix? She's lovely!!

Jewel, how fun to have Tibetan Mastiffs in your class! I've never met one of those, either!
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 9:16pm PST 
Jewel, I was surprised at the amount of Leonbergers I've seen in the city on the way to work (ok I've seen like 4 but that's a lot!!). All being walked by little old ladies too ^_^
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2