GO!

Herding Breeds and Neurosis?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 22)  
1  2  3  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue May 28, '13 7:35am PST 
big grin
[notify]
Sadie

Barked: Wed May 29, '13 11:32am PST 
I totally "get" the b&W obsession! I have a black and tan obsession which is why I always fantasized about have a rottie (did have one for about 6 month. Loved him. His dad not so much and had to leave, sadly taking Rutger was not an option) but it is one of the many reasons I fell head over heels with Sadie midsentance (No, you know with rour elderly cats we can't get a dog. Especially a 6 mo old puppy! It would not be fair to them since they never shared thier home with a (kiss, kiss. From dog, not kid. By 18 I was NEARLY immune to his begging).... Oh my God. We HAVE to find a way to keep her!!!" )
She is BTW a herding dog who has been an amazing pet. I am disabled and she basically trained herself to be a service dog for the types of things I need help with. She learns in astonishing speed, is unbelievably well behaved (I can sit in my front yard, no lead, day, night. Dogs, people, bikes fine with everything but dogs not on leads. I also can set a full plate of sliced rib eye and all the trimmings on my bed, instruct her to wait while I go get my drink and she stays in her place which is on the bed two ft down from the dish. My step dad's family who all have ha dogs for generations (my grandmother is 88 and has never been without) are stunned by this particular demo of behaviour. I wish I could take all the credit and say I am an amazingly talented trainer, but truth is I got lucky and she trained herself simply by me being a pack leader and her assuming her pack position as helpmate to the alpha. And that is as close a way I can define what happened here, really! She is my first actual dog that was mine and I had long than a few months.
I think BC are adorable, I love the tipped ears and I do also love B&W animals. Dogs, cats, horses.
I know you'll choose well, you appear to know what you are looking for yet know the heart needs to participate too! Bon Chanc
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 22)  
1  2  3