GO!

Herding Breeds and Neurosis?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 8:25am PST 
Okay, spending some time fantasizing about the perfect (for me) dog. I am fond of herding breeds and of hunting breeds and have owned a variety of each.

Am currently smitten by the stylish black and whiteness of the Border Collie. (I know, I know...it isn't about looks!) But the breed descriptions and some posters on here described fears and neurosis as a drawback. It got me to thinking...my darling Corgi mix is an absolute sweetheart, but kind of needy. Is that the kind of behavior we are talking about? Or worse?

My "future" dog would be one that would get a lot of focused training and attention. I've done pretty well with the dogs I have, but four dogs is a demand and in the fantasy future I will have ONE PERFECT DOG. Yeah, right. It's a fantasy, remember?

Question is...what breed if a breed? Or maybe a long slow selection process from shelters or rescues, having someone to stop me from impulse? (Impulse can BE an issue with me.)
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 9:15am PST 
:O Just the "Black and whiteness"?! I am offended as a blonde Border Collie owner laugh out loud

With Border Collies it tends to be much more than just "neediness."
If adequate amounts of both physical and *mental* exercise are not given these dogs live up to the word neurotic.
These neurotic tendencies have a wide range and can include any number of the following:
- Vehicle/Bike/People chasing
- Compulsive barking
- Shadow attacking
- Obsessing over something such as a ceiling fan
- Fly Catching (snapping at invisible "flies")
- Random bouts of aggression or misdirected aggression
- Destructive behaviours
- Obsessive escaping
- Random unprovoked fears
And many more. This is just a list of things I have encountered when working with other's dogs or had others tell me about their dogs.

Now of course, this isn't a constant concern if you can provide the hours of stimulation and "work" for a dog of this breed. As well as purchase from a breeder that suits your lifestyle.
(Not endorsing "calm" Border Collie breeders, but there is certainly a divide in personality and temperament with working, sport, and conformation type BCs)

I can't really answer which breed exactly I would recommend as I know relatively little about your situation. All I can say is that herding breeds as a whole tend to be poor choices for impulse purchases as they tend to be a quite demanding and "touchy" bunch.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 9:25am PST 
Well, by impulse I meant my tendency to visit dogs in shelters and want to take them all home with me. I currently have a mixed pack. One...Samoa is probably part Aussie or BC. He has some of the tendencies you describe, but is also mostly mellow. His issues might be with something like ceiling fan staring or fear of loud noises. Today I found he hates the car radio because I have turned the radio on to distract during storms. I think he thought past that and surmised a storm was coming, so started to cry.

Dubs...a Corgi mix...is very needy and insecure. She is beautifully responsive to commands, but a little bundle of nerves and often for no apparent reason.

Both of these dogs are from county shelters.

In the past I had a mixed breed Aussie/ACD and she was fine...though had to be kept busy and needed to be watched around children.

My future self...with this future dog...will be retired, and I own my own house with big fenced back yard. Working with my dogs has been my hobby for years, and I guess I am considering turning up the focus on that and really WORKING with a dog.

But reading the posts from Tiller and the nonsensical "legitimate breeder" on the front page has me thinking I'll be back at the shelter when the time comes for this special dog.

Oh, and your blonde and white is lovely. Two out of my four are yellow or buff...so it is a favorite color. I saw a stunning black and white BC lately and I guess he has been on my mind.
[notify]

Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 4:05pm PST 
thinking Dexter had nearly all the tendencies Cobain listed...

We've worked through a lot of them but he still re-lapses every now and again :o(

He's extremely needy and has fears when it comes to the silliest things.. Like if I quickly run up the stairs confused

Yup... Neurotic... Dexter really is a nutter! But we're getting there. I've had him almost a year and have been constantly working on his issues. We still have a long way to go!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 7:19pm PST 
Our Ferdie was a pure bred Border Collie. She was a gorgeous dog. She was also obsessed with nipping heels, electric cords, books, toys, shoes. She was a master escape artist and never really bonded after a year to anyone in the family. I always attributed it to the long hours I worked and my teens being too lazy to take her out when I wasn't home. Maybe it was that, maybe the breed, maybe a combination thereofshrugshrugshrug

PS She was rehomed to a working farm, think it was the best thing for hersmile

Edited by author Wed May 22, '13 7:20pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 11:29pm PST 
Some can be absolute freakazoids, and I can't imagine them being happy without an activity to funnel that herding instinct ... Preferably herding. Then you can get the nice middle of the road ones who love their agility and so on and are happy pets. Chose wisely, look at show breeders first.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 4:54am PST 
black & white??? savvy, I am hurt,

you know I tend to be a tad aggressive. and obsess with the "throw the frisbee"
and, I am a shaker, which can run very strong in BC.but, my humans say they have never had a smarter, easy to train dog then me.even family and friends say that.

I have slowed and mellowed some the last few years, I turned 11 last week.

if you want a dog to "work" with, BC would be at the top of the list.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 6:00am PST 
Oh, Dilly...your looks are so superior. WHAT am I saying?

Take back the whole black and white comment.

Take it back, I beg you. I retract it!

Now...looks like I have dealt with a mild version of these issues, such as might appear in a crossbred version of the type. And I don't mind it...I don't want a breed without the breed characteristics, but may not actually be up to working a herder. Mainly due to a lack of critters to herd.

Flyball, agility or that ball bumping sport that looks like dog soccer (can't remember the name!) are all options. Not so much Disc because I have a wimpy throwing arm. But definitely activity...

Pet quality, non-breeding less drive would be ideal. Not no drive, just not manic drive. Since that is pretty much what I have with my two shelter herders I will PROBABLY end up going that route again. But still like to entertain the idea of THE DOG.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 6:20am PST 
Nothing really to add, Savvy, but i too have recently found myself looking up Border Collie breeders and drooling over my fave colours which happen to be the Red/White, Red merles and Blue/White combinations. Absolutely stunning!

I've been a fan of the breed since i was a kid, and while i'm sure what my next will be, my Border Collie fantasy will hopefully one day be a reality.

When i was around 13/14 years old, my dad rescued a Collie x Lab from a workmate and i loved that dog so much! Impeccable manners although he could be reactive/grumpy with other dogs, although far more trustworthy around them than my Missy!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 8:35am PST 
Just wondering...what do you all think about this? http://www.oldtimefarmshepherd.org/

legit breed? I do love the looks.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3