GO!

Guest still needs help choosing apartment dog ( *not* my family member)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 8:02pm PST 
Great! Your *best* approach will be to fill out an application right away - HERE is a direct link. Rescues get a lot of general inquiries that tend to go nowhere, so those often end up low on the priority scale with so many other things to work on. Applications say that you are serious, and if you mention Sparky (and you need to mention a dog on the top of the application), that probably will be processed very quickly. It just takes a few minutes, then just click and send and you are on your way. Any questions you have, they'll be happy to answer, I am sure, once they contact you about your application. The application is most often the icebreaker smile

Here is the latest picture of SPARKY, which came up on their Facebook last week. He's one of their faves, it looks like, and they really want a happy answer for him. Apparently, he suffers with a little arthritis, but does get along very well and is a major lover of walks. He's got such a kind eye cloud 9
[notify]
Ezra

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 5:54am PST 
Something else to consider, how likely are you to move in the next 10 years? Your current apartment might not ban shepherds, but at least where I live, shepherds/shepherd mixes are not allowed. If you do go for Abbey, be aware that it might take some extra looking to find housing. In general I've found that drop eared dogs, like Sparky, are much more likely to be accepted. Sad but true.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 6:46am PST 
We have to double check that the apartment manager still has the paperwork for allowing us to have a dog and then I will fill out the application. After we took Zero back we told her we weren't going to try to get a dog again, but I'm pretty sure she would have kept the paperwork, I want to make sure though.

Do you think Sparky's arthritis will be a problem with the stairs? I'm not very knowledgeable about these things. I know the rescue would know best, I was just wondering if anyone had any input on that.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 9:13am PST 
Off what they have said on their Facebook, it won't be a problem. He loves his walks which means he's nicely active and not slowed down. Arthritis, as is true with people, files under more "fact of life." Most dogs will get it in their lifetime. It can be far more problematic with larger dogs who have more frame to deal with. Supplements can do outstanding work, and beyond that, for harder cases, there is medication when necessary. I've yet to have to medicate a dog, though. Often glucosamine (which is added into many senior dog foods) does the trick.

Sparky has a long term foster who I am confident will be able to give you a very good idea of things. One thing I like to see in a rescue is honesty and transparency. If you are forthright up front, that is so much better for the dog and adopter as that helps to ensure a good match. This rescue seems very much that way, and just off how they are promoting want him in an active life. My hunch is that he loves being out and about, and that they'd love for him an active life.

My Cocker, Chester, is five years older than Sparky and has what I gather is more definitive arthritis, but he handles our stairs no problem and is still very bounding and sporty smile
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 9:06am PST 
Well, we talked to the building manager and she still has all of our paperwork, and it sounds like she is really routing for us to find our best fur friend.

I filled out the application for Sparky and sent it. Fingers crossed while we wait to hear back.

Edited by author Mon Apr 8, '13 9:07am PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 11:37am PST 
Oh yay!!! Good luck! Please keep us all posted cheer
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 12:20pm PST 
I will definitely keep you posted.

This is my least favorite part. I'm not very good at just waiting patiently for things like this. shrug Oh well.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 1:11pm PST 
I haven't heard from the rescue BUT on their Facebook I was looking at a pic of Sparky and someone in the comments asked for an update and they said they had an application for him but the applicants had a second story apartment (that is us)and they didn't think it was going to work out because he doesn't do stairs very well.

Back to the drawing board. Again.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 3:05pm PST 
Ack! frown What you should do is complete the application process any way. That's a good rescue and they have lots of dogs, there and yet to come. Complete the process now, and then next time there is ***no nail biting wait*** smile One of the things they do is take on dogs stranded due to foreclosures, so they may have a dog in soon with full info that may suit in the near future. You never know. Asking to have your application pushed through is still a smart move way to go Abbey is at that same rescue, as well, don't forget.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2