GO!

Which one first? Corgi or Shiba?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Leia

The Cowardly- Lion - I'll find my- courage

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 8:54pm PST 
Sorry, I just realized I forgot to answer one of your questions towards me. As to why having two young adults at the same time is a bad idea, it's not just because they'll both be at their most energetic and least trained. When dogs hit about 6 months, they start to go through an adolescent stage similar to human teenagers, when they commonly seem to forget all their training and just become total jerks in general - both to you and sometimes to other dogs. This doesn't happen with all dogs, but it's pretty common in both Corgis and Shibas. It's not that they have a huge temperament problem or anything, any more than your average 15 year old does; they're just sub-adults, testing their boundaries and trying to figure out how they fit into their social setting. This stage can last anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years, and can feature sudden dog aggression or reactivity, where the pup just decides he wants to start something with every other dog he sees. They do grow out of it, but if you have two strong, clashing personalities hitting that stage at the same time or thereabouts... You can see how it could end up a problem. It's not always, but the possibility is there.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 8:49am PST 
Thanks for all the clarification Leia! smileapplause
[notify]
Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 9:08am PST 
I can think of at least 2 very reputable Shiba breeders who, if you got a dog from them, I wouldn't worry about adding another dog later. My own opinion is that breeder is everything when you get a Shiba (not that this isn't true for other breeds but I just tend to think you can get a far more manageable dog from some breeders).

As far as Corgis and play style, it has been my impression from other Shiba owners that their play styles are very compatible as both tend to be rough, energetic players. Bullying is something I would worry about, though. My dog loves other dogs but is a bit of a bully (king of the roost at daycare), but that said, he can take it, at least to some extent, as well as dish it. I think this is the sort of thing that can be just fine as long as you're aware of it and manage it from the beginning.

For myself, I would not worry about adding another dog to my household. He loves all other dogs. I would be more concerned with making sure the other dog was as interested in playing as he is, were I to look at adding another. That said, he is a little less than a year and a half old and could still become more intolerant of other dogs up to age two.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 1:30pm PST 
Zim:

Thanks! I agree about being picky about breeders. Good to know how your Shiba acts and that you think he could still become less tolerable around other dogs because he is still young. It seems waiting until the first dog is at least two years old is looking likely.
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 2:48pm PST 
IMO...I would get the Corgi first (being a herding breed...they tend to want the pack to stick together). Once the Corgi is two years old or older...then I would introduce the Shiba. Never underestimate the power of the pack.

If it were me...I would most likely choose a female Corgi and a male Shiba....Or a male Corgi then a female Shiba.

Let both breeders know your plan so they can help choose the right pup for a good fit.

I told Jasper's breeder the pack dynamic I had with 4 poodles of various sizes and my primary goal was to maintain HARMONY in my home. I could never live in a house where I'd have to constantly separate my dogs from one another.

I know a few folks who do that (keep their dogs separate) to prevent fights. That would make me miserable.

When I got Sonja...I had an adult Rottie/GSD mix...95 lb alpha bitch named Pepper. I asked Sonja's breeder if I could bring Pepper to help choose her new house mate. She agreed and put Sonja's mom in the back yard while I brought Pepper in.

I had 3 pups to choose from...2 cream and 1 blue. As soon as I walked into the living room with Pepper...the 2 cream pups took one look at her and ran into the other room. The blue pup gingerly walked over to Pepper...both of their tails were wagging...Pepper sat down and started sniffing at the pup...both tails still wagging....and I said, Well, that settles it. I would have never thought two females would be a good fit if I hadn't taken Pepper with me to let her have the final say.

Pepper did a great job teaching Sonja good manners. Pepper was a velcro dog... never left my side even off lead. To this day, Sonja doesn't wander more than 6 feet from me. Sonja was a breeze to train (granted she's a Poodle). But, Pepper was a great influence on her behavior.

Something to keep in mind...it's not all about you and your SO. Dogs (all breeds) are (basically) pack animals and (typically) enjoy each others company. Ensuring they like each other above all else will make for a more pleasant home life. IMO
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 6:05pm PST 
Jasper:

Thanks for all the great tips! I was thinking two different sexes and introducing the first to the second at the breeder would be a great idea. I didn't think to mention the second dog to the first breeder so thanks a lot for pointing that out! smile I also can't imagine living in a place where dogs must be separated. We had considered cats as well, but Shibas have known to be aggressive to them and I wouldn't want to have to keep them separate either (among other reasons, we decided no cats). Also nice to hear that you feel your Pepper helped teach Sonja smile
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 8:48pm PST 
I guess I never really answered Bunny's original question. I think I would get the Corgi first.

Shiba's are so independent minded (quite cat like actually) ... it might be good the have a herding breed to herd a new independent pup around. laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2