GO!

Lab/Spaniel? Lab/Setter? Something else?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Treasure

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 8:18am PST 
Curious if anyone cares to venture a guess what Treasure may be or may be mixed with.

Her rescue guessed Lab Spaniel because she's got ears that go on for days. I can definitely see that but her size has me really wondering if there isn't something else entirely in there. Based on her teeth she's estimated to be 3-4 months old, but she's already 45lbs! Even for a Labrador that's substantial, and I would assume if she was mixed with Spaniel she'd likely be growing slower and end up smaller than the typical Lab, right?

Her coat is very soft, with a slight wave over her rump but that could still be the puppy in her. Other things I've noticed is she tends to actually drool a bit, her run is very "lope-y" and she's got a knot at the top of her head instead of being broad with a crease like most Lab skulls. She is nearly as tall as Trigger already and her body is very "soft" as opposed to the harder muscle tone I'm used to. She is clumsy but also in a very soft way as opposed to the "bull in a china shop" movements of an adolescent Lab.

She jumps up a lot but is very "floaty" about it.

Temperament seems very soft as well. She's sensitive when we tell ask her to get down from the counter but not in an overly submissive way. She's been very non-confrontational with the other dogs. Will try to get them to play every once in awhile but seems to follow their lead over taking the initiative herself.

Anyone venture a guess on her breed/s?

Edited by author Mon Mar 4, '13 9:04am PST

[notify]
Isabelle the- Great

Nothing is- greater than an- Springer!

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 9:03am PST 
Those be hound ears! The ears do not strike me as spaniel ears, they look to long and to smooth to be spaniel or setter ears.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 9:21am PST 
I second the hound ears!
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 9:50am PST 
The bump on the head and ears make me think some kind of coon hound . . . .
[notify]
Treasure

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 10:11am PST 
Hound is a fascinating suggestion, she does have a HUGE bark and likes to yodel off at the end almost like a bay. It's much more noise than the boys have ever made.

She sort of warble talks to you if she gets really excited too lol
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 10:38am PST 
If you take out the ears, her head looks like a setter to me. The have the knot on the back (occipital bump) and the look of the front of her face. Maybe a hound/setter mix.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 11:19am PST 
I'll agree with hound mix, she looks a great deal like the all purpose hounds we have around here in the south, the second picture I'd almost have pegged her for a black and tan. She could have some setter, or some other coated breed in the mix but her strongest features sound like hound and the movement you describe sounds a lot like a hound puppy as well.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 11:23am PST 
Definitely Hound ears! I'm not really familiar with Coonhounds but could she possibly have Coonhound in her? I also initially thought Flat Coat Retrieves. That bottom picture, with her sitting, just made me think FCR although i would guess that's not a likely mix? Perhaps Lab.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 1:18pm PST 
The ears and the bump on the back of her head definitely made me think hound as well, she's a beautiful girl that's for sure cloud 9 (I'm not really familiar with setters or spaniels so I can't speak for those features).
[notify]
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 1:45pm PST 
I'm going to guess Labrador X Bloodhound. Labs and Coonhounds are similar in size. If there is Bloodhound in the mix that could explain why she's substantially larger? The Bloodhounds are heavier than both breeds, but not much taller.

A few of the pics I saw on google of black lab/blood hounds looked very similar to her. She does resemble a Coonhound as well though.

Edited by author Mon Mar 4, '13 1:48pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2