GO!

English Shepherds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 1:28pm PST 
Does anybody have experience with English Shepherds? I have met a few and really liked them.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 7:58am PST 
Bumping up. Hopefully Chandler will see this and come post.dog walk
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 6:21pm PST 
Hi Thor. I guess I'm the resident ES maniac, although Skarlet is also around. smile

ES are a bit hard to generalize, both physically and temperamentally. They're a diverse lot, bred for working under different farming conditions. I have friends with ES ranging from around 35 to over 80 pounds. Their sociability with other dogs and strange people varies, from friendly through aloof to hostile attitudes. People thinking of getting an ES should pick their dog carefully based on expected temperament and working abilities.

Some generalities can be made. They are intelligent dogs (sometimes scary smart.) They require leadership (socialization, training, partnership with you, and some kind of a defined job), and they tend to be bossy and very focused on the "rules"- their concept of how things are "supposed to be".

If you are interested in reading more, I have an informational page with a number of educational links at my blog. Unfortunately, I've been neglecting it a bit since my female cat died... frown
...but I believe the links are still good, and I mainly wanted to make additions.

English Shepherds 101

Please let me know if you have any more questions or want clarification on anything. smile
[notify]