GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 9 of 23: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  [Last 10 entry]  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 5:38pm PST 
Poor Sophie, some people clear the way because she's got pitty features and some bully owners don't see bull at all...but one fella told us she was a fine looking beagle...go figyashrug
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 3:12am PST 
At one of our demo shows, a guy came up to Rigby and myself and exclaimed "I have a pit bull at home too! Just like that one!"
shrug

Not sure what Rig is, but Pitty never crossed my mind
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 11:10am PST 
Rigby, a lot of people think Ava's a pit bull too, for some odd reason. I'm surprised no one's ever asked if Nix is, because they don't really look all that different. In fact, most people (not the ones who ask if Ava's a pit) think they're littermates at first. laugh out loud

I just remembered this gem:
"Eating meat rots their teeth."

Sure it does. That's why dogs on prey-model raw have such nasty decaying mouths.. Oh wait... laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Mar 1, '13 11:13am PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 11:18am PST 
I have always adopted loveable mixed breed dogs from a local animal shelter. My first dog was a Lab / Doberman mix. She was a doll and I spent a lot of time training her so she was amazing around children. I had one neighbor who wanted to evict me from my Co-op only after she found out my dog was half Doberman. She assumed the dog would eat her children. Of course the co-op board laughed it off because they knew my dog was a doll. That was over 10 years ago. My current canine kid is pit bull mix. Again, a lovable wonderful dog who passed the AKC's Good Canine Citizen Test. Now I have a neighbor who jumps in fright when she sees my dog. Nope my dog never lunged at her or jumped on her. In fact my dog sits quietly and waits until she is out of sight before we walk in or out of the building. I just hate that now I have another neighbor who assumes my dog, for no reason whatsoever, is going to "attack". It's just nuts. I know there are bad dogs out there. But gee whiz, give us responsible dog owners a break! I even wrote an article about it. If you feel like reading it, please do:http://www.houselogic.com/blog/home-thoughts/pets-in-condos-kids- vs-dogs/
[notify]
Marley

Blame the deed,- NOT the Breed

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 11:34am PST 
I was told Marley is a border collie because she can perform "frisbee tricks"

She is not trained since I leave her in the crate when I'm gone

She is still growing, labs and pits grow until they are 5
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 3:38pm PST 
I still love the one about dobermans turning on people because their brain gets too big for their head. Yup, I've seen it happen a million times, BOL!!! At least they HAVE a brain, unlike the people who believe that one!!
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 2:02pm PST 
The "crating is cruel" people drive me batty. Obviously, a dog can be left crated and unattended for too long, but in that case, the issue is negligence, not the crate itself.

I admit, before I ever had a dog, I said if I got one, I'd never crate it. But getting a dog, reading up on crate training, I soon realized Ace was better off crated at night.

But, as time went on, Ace became much better behaved in the house, stopped ripping up anything she shouldn't, AND figured out how to get out of her crate by herself. So I put the crate away, and eventually gave it away to a rescue.

Along comes Teeko, and being unsure how he'd be unsupervised, I crate him at night now. Funny thing is how many times I find Ace resting in his crate at other times. In hindsight, I think she picked her favorite napping corner behind a large plant because of its coziness, after I put her crate away.

Teeko is pretty well-behaved in the house, hasn't chewed up anything he shouldn't, but since he and Ace love playing so much, I think they should continue to be separated at night to get some rest laugh out loud
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 2:25pm PST 
Omg.. The 'crating is cruel' thing drives me batty too! If it's safer for the dogs... how is it cruel? And I have to agree between the difference of crating and plain negligence. It was cruel that Charlie was a neglected, eight month old puppy when I got him, with FOUR homes prior, and that he had been crated for a majority of the time in his previous homes. It was not cruel to make it a positive place for him, to make it a place he could SAFELY stay. I can't imagine the dangers he could have been put in had he not been crated when I left him home alone back then - he loved to tear things apart and chew them and even swallow them. Not safe. Now, I simply have crates as a JUST in case, and leave the doors open for them anytime my dogs want to go in them and only crate as needed.

Another one! "Smart = easy". Not the case! If anything, smart can mean FAR more challenges! People assume that being Lab/Border Collie, Ria has to be incredibly smart and therefore, an incredibly easy dog to handle. Easy to train, yes. Easy to socialize, wear out, or handle on a daily basis? Not so much. She's going to take a lot of work for the next few years and even after that, will never be entirely 'easy'.

"Rottweilers are aggressive and will hurt me or my dog." Lol... This seriously happened to me once when walking Maya. Maya was fine with people and dogs outside on walks. In fact, she was great. So when I was walking her down a narrow pathway between houses one day on our way home from a dog park, I noticed a couple spotted us and immediately ducked down another path to avoid us. At first, I just shrugged, but they looked really wary as I came up to the opening and it was the way I needed to go to get home. I was about to make my way past when the lady said, "Is she going to hurt my dog?".... Uh.. No. In fact, she'll likely take one sniff and then ignore your dog because she doesn't play with other dogs at all, and has no interest in them. So, when the little dog gave a nervous growl, Maya immediately backed off much to the amazement of the senior couple. "I heard Rottweilers are really aggressive! Is she purebred?" Yep. She's purebred. Poorly bred, but pure, yes. "She's so well behaved!" Well, it took a lot of training and socialization, but she's a really good girl. Rottweilers, are in fact, typically very people-oriented dogs who make wonderful companions. They were shocked by how good she was. To the point, they talked my ear off about her for about half an hour before they let me on my way again.

Every time I walked Kia, the Bull Mastiff, people always crossed the street. Except a car full of young guys that wanted to know her breed because they liked the look of her.

When people see a well behaved dog and automatically assume either the breed is easy, or that that particular dog was naturally that way. UH NO. Took A LONG TIME to get my Beagle this good, and took about a year of rehabilitation with Maya to help her get back to at least a somewhat normal life again, and it took a TON of work with my aggressive foster dog, and Ria certainly isn't easy or naturally that way either. silenced
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 3:54pm PST 
Oh gosh, the crating one... I know I mentioned it in an earlier post here, but it still drives me crazy thinking about. I can't get over that someone I thought was a friend actually berated me and accused me of not being able to train my dogs just because I still crate them when we leave the house. I do it for their safety, but apparently if I couldn't train them to be safe when no one's around, then I'm not a very good dog owner. confused Whatever.

Oh, ok, and this one: "You obviously don't care about your dogs if you let them run around off leash."

Really? By that logic, you don't care about your kids because you let them play in the street.
To the contrary, I love my dogs. They're not like family, they ARE family. wink I trust them, and I trust the training I've put in to them. There's also a difference between letting them run to their hearts content through a remote field with no roads or people around for miles, and walking them off leash along a busy high way. There's a time and a place for off leash activity. Letting your dogs stretch their legs CAN be done responsibly, if you use some common sense. smile

lol... It's been a long day and I'm kind of in a ranting mood. xD
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 4:46pm PST 
What's even better is when the 'crating is cruel' people are asking for advice about their dog ripping their house up.

I think they've said the brain swelling thing about whatever breed was being ostracized at the time. I know I've heard it about Pit Bulls too.
[notify]
  (Page 9 of 23: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  [Last 10 entry]