GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 8 of 23: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  [Last 10 entry]  
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 2:23pm PST 
I got the skiny comments all the time with my Golden. She actually did have trouble keeping weight on as a senior but most of the comments were when she was young and fit. I think people just don't know what a healthy weight athletic Golden looks like.
[notify]
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 2:57pm PST 
"S/he humps because he's dominant!"

^every time I hear this, it's said about a dog who is clearly stress humping. your dog isn't "dominant", now stop it from humping mine, who is polite enough to not bite yours.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 3:37pm PST 
"He's trying to be alpha." - a comment I received from a friend of mine when Charlie stepped into my cross-legged lap to lean on me for more massage(I had been massaging him and he wanted it to continue and crept closer). I laughed. "Uh, no... He just doesn't want me to stop." This is also a friend, however, that believes Cesar Milan is GOD when it comes to canine behavior. laugh out loud

I really... don't allow many people to handle my dogs, save for myself and my fiance.. And THAT is why. So many are HUGE into the alpha theory of Cesar, and follow his tactics.. I'm sorry, but if you're going to swat at, or try to alpha roll my dog, you're NOT going to remain on good terms with me.
[notify]

Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 3:46pm PST 
Only Labs and Goldens can be service dogs

Edited by author Wed Feb 27, '13 3:47pm PST

[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 5:42pm PST 
Oh yes, Charlie you reminded me about all the wannabe "Dog whisperers" we seem to have in this city! All the garbage about "your dog's trying to dominate you" whether they're giving eye contact or nudging your hand for more petting.
We also get the "your dog's so skinny!" I think people are just used to seeing fat little Dachshunds, they don't always realize what a fit one looks like!
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 9:35am PST 
"That dog is vicious!" as Clyde is heeling nicely on the leash and wondering why that crazy person across the street is acting scared when he looks at them.

If it is a lean shorthair dog with a blocky head, it must be dangerous.

Strangely, people seem more afraid of Clyde if he is heeling instead of yanking every which way trying to smell everything.

Edited by author Thu Feb 28, '13 9:38am PST

[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 11:19am PST 
Clyde, maybe people think he's like a trained attack dog versus the average dog minding his own business? Weird that people react that way (or really at all) He's very handsome though! cloud 9

I've heard the dominance stuff before and was also told once that I must beat my dog because any dog that shies from petting has been abused before. No. I've never beat my dog, but when I said you could pet him I specified on the rump or under the chin for a reason... because that's where he's comfortable. That was one of my first experiences out and about and it wasn't long after that when I started ignoring people. Too many of them are totally clueless and actually think they know everything.

I've also been told he looks like a great hunting dog and I should breed him and I could make some $$. Yeah... cause breeding your mutt is a great way to make money. And is totally responsible and my dog who has NEVER been hunting in his life will likely throw good hunting pups anyways...There's just so much wrong with that suggestion I can't even get into it
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 11:21am PST 
Clyde, maybe people think he's like a trained attack dog versus the average dog minding his own business? Weird that people react that way (or really at all) He's very handsome though! cloud 9

I've heard the dominance stuff before and was also told once that I must beat my dog because any dog that shies from petting has been abused before. No. I've never beat my dog, but when I said you could pet him I specified on the rump or under the chin for a reason... because that's where he's comfortable. That was one of my first experiences out and about and it wasn't long after that when I started ignoring people. Too many of them are totally clueless and actually think they know everything.

I've also been told he looks like a great hunting dog and I should breed him and I could make some $$. Yeah... cause breeding your mutt is a great way to make money. And is totally responsible and my dog who has NEVER been hunting in his life will likely throw good hunting pups anyways...There's just so much wrong with that suggestion I can't even get into it
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 12:04pm PST 
Aw Lenny.

I get that all the time becuase jake's a beagle. "He must be a great hunting dog!"

I just say who knows. I only know Jake's Gun solid but i've never taken him hunting. To afraid he won't come back.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 12:31pm PST 
Black dogs are inherently more dangerous than every other color.
[notify]
  (Page 8 of 23: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  [Last 10 entry]