GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 16 of 23: Viewing entries 151 to 160)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  [Last 10 entry]  
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 9:42am PST 
The couple times I did quick Scruffy, he barely bled and it stopped bleeding on it's own right away. I was actually surprised how little he bled. People make it sound like that if you hit the quick at all then it's gonna be a bloody mess like something out of a horror film!

I get the she is shy/afraid of people because she must have been abused thing with Lily all the time. I have no idea if she was abused or not, but people get really weird about it. They ask her what happened and tell her that they won't hurt her and she is lucky to have a good loving home now and then go on a tirade about how animal abusers are evil then they usually thank me for adopting her and such. Some people even seem on the verge of tears about it even after I tell them that I don't know if she was abused and that she could have just never been properly socialized or something.

Edited by author Mon Mar 11, '13 10:03am PST

[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 11:56am PST 
Paris is a puppy because she is smaller than Nicky. They're not even the same breed..... shrug
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 3:24pm PST 
lol nicky!big laugh

Today i was told Jake had to be Caroline's puppy. They too are not the same breed.
[notify]

Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 5:54pm PST 
At the dog park once someone asked me if Lily was Scruffy and his litter mate brother's puppy. Considering Scruffy and his brother and both males, I'd think it's safe to say no to that question. laugh out loudlaugh out loud

People always assume that Scruffy and Lily are related and they are not, then when I tell people they are not related I get asked "are you sure?" Yep, I'm sure. shrug

Edited by author Mon Mar 11, '13 5:57pm PST

[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 4:03am PST 
Oh! I have a new one!

Yesterday, I was at a friends house. She has a GSD who is quite snappy around other male dogs and people he doesn't know. It's definitely fear based aggression and although I told her to get in touch with a behaviourist, she hasn't... She's started taking her dog (male) to obedience classes instead and she was told that her male dog is snappy towards other males because he is neutered and because of which, other male dogs do not know if he is male or female and constantly try it on with him!

laugh out loud

Seriously! The obedience trainer told her that! The same trainer that told her that she can't cure her dog's snappy tendencies, she just has to anticipate them! He's a GSD and that's to be expected! She just has to learn to live with it!!! shock

I just keep my mouth shut now as she thinks this trainer is the best ever and she's over the moon! It's no longer my place to tell her otherwise...
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 8:12am PST 
"her male dog is snappy towards other males because he is neutered and because of which, other male dogs do not know if he is male or female and constantly try it on with him!"

Oh man! laugh out loud That's a laugh! Seriously though? I think even jealousy towards intact dogs would make more sense than THAT explanation. What books is that trainer reading? lol
[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 10:54am PST 
Small dogs don't need exercise, I work with two rescues and one of the people was talking to someone interested in adopting a small dog. She said well you know small dogs don't need to be walked or exercised. I had to speak up and say I have two small dogs who love and need walks + exercise my two small dogs can walk about 3 miles and are super happy after a good long walk. I understand all dogs have different energy levels and some may not enjoy walks they might rather play fetch or with other dogs etc, but to just assume because they are small they don't need any type of exercise is dumbnaughty
[notify]
Liam

Lil Country Boy

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 11:42am PST 
"Chow chows are unpredictable and aggressive" ...excuse me? I grew up with chows and chow mixes, they're protective and weary of strangers yes. But if raised right, are no more a danger than a toy breed.

"Your dog has a square-ish head so he must be part pit" ...Nope, Hes chow x black mouth cur x rhodesian ridgeback.

"Pitbulls will sooner turn on you than look at you." ...what kind of pits have you been around?

"Your dog cant be dog aggressive, hes with another dog!' ...yes, a dog he has lived with since he was 2 months old.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 12:05pm PST 
Just heard a great one!! "Male dogs can't pee without lifting their leg." laugh out loud
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 12:35pm PST 
I recently heard that you need to spay female dogs because an intact female dog will bleed once a month. eek

Edited by author Wed Mar 13, '13 12:42pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 16 of 23: Viewing entries 151 to 160)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  [Last 10 entry]