GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 15 of 23: Viewing entries 141 to 150)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  [Last 10 entry]  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 9:05pm PST 
Spent the day at an outdoor mall with Onyx, so, of course, I got all kinds of weird comments. He was called a baby dog, dog who bites, Dutch Shepherd, the dog from Resident Evil, a horse, and a chupacabra. And one kid said, "That dog is going to eat me!" while Onyx sat next to me not even looking at the kid.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 2:06am PST 
man Onyx where do you live? the people around you sound like they need more dogs i their lives.

Basset hounds have short legs and they like to sleep alot so you shouldn't walk them at all.

>.> No... She walks just not as far as Jake and I usually do.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 3:14am PST 
Southern California -.-

Oh, he was also called a wolf, but that happens all the time.
[notify]

Kimiko

Barkster

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 6:01am PST 
I've had people tell me she looks like every variety of wild animal that even resembles a dog. Coyote and fox are the most popular, though some have gone for wolf for some reason. I've been asked point blank if she was part fox.

My own mother said she was only going to be the size of a sheltie as a puppy. Once she outgrew that estimate, she now thinks she's going to be 70lb. (She's 35 at 13 months)

She 'smiles' when she's excited, so she's been called mean quite a few times.

The best one was a friend of a friend who saw me working on her stay and told me I could leave her in a stay outside a store and go shopping. They were very excited about this possibility.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 6:20am PST 
Oh yeah, I've had lots of people tell me Ava looks like a fox too. lol! But I think on their part it was just a comment on her orange-sable coloring, since I've never been asked if she's part fox.

Is it weird that I want to take Nix to our fancy strip mall... partially to see what kinds of comments strangers make? silenced ...But mostly to walk him around because it's a really, really nice place, especially at night. wink

OH!! But last week while we were walking through the woods we ran in to a lady with her lab, and she actually asked me "Are they Border Collies?" big grin She would probably be the 5th person of all time to correctly guess Nix's breed. I was happy though. xD

Edited by author Mon Mar 11, '13 6:23am PST

[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 8:47am PST 
laugh out loud

Ava & Nix, you wouldn't believe how many people believe they shouldn't clip a dog's nails. A few people have told me not to clip nails because if you quick a dog it will bleed to death and the rest tell me you shouldn't clip their nails because they wear the nails down from walking. While the latter is true, it depends on the dog and the people who tell me that always have dogs with overgrown nails and they probably don't walk enough to wear down the nails to a proper length. In fact, our old vet even told me they didn't like to clip nails because they like to see if a dog will wear them down themselves from walking. Same vet told me that Scruffy's nails were "at a good length" when they were long enough to reach the floor and one toe on both his front feet were starting to turn slightly because his nails were too long. confused Glad I did some research on the subject!

Something else I've noticed is that people with fat dogs always claim that their dog is "all muscle".

Edited by author Mon Mar 11, '13 9:01am PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 8:56am PST 
I'll never get the "Dutch Shepherd" thing.

If you're savvy enough to know what a Dutchie is, how do you not know what a black GSD looks like? shrug

People trying to sound smart, I guess.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 9:19am PST 
Yeah! "This isn't fat. See? Feel it. He's solid, not squishy."

Well of course he's solid! You pack enough lard in to a sausage skin it'll feel solid too!

Or the people who talk and talk about how their dog is so skinny and can't seem to put any weight on, so you're expecting to see a really thin, healthy dog... but then you see it and you're shocked at how overweight the dog actually is. If that's their idea of skinny then what the heck is their idea of fat!? shock

lol. I clip Nix and Ava's nails just about every 3 weeks or so, or when it feels like they're getting sharp. I've never... well, actually come to think of it I have quicked Ava's dew claw once. Just once. And it wasn't even bad. smile

OH! Speaking of which though (totally going off-topic just for a second) I got quick-stop/styptic powder in a cut on my thumb the other day at work. That stuff STINGS like you would not believe! silenced

Edited by author Mon Mar 11, '13 9:21am PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 9:20am PST 
That was exactly what I wondered, Mulder. The guy was like, "Is that a Shepherd Dog?" Me: "Yeah, he is." Guy: "Dutch Shepherd?"

Considering Dutchies are usually brindle and not at all common in this country, it seemed rather strange to me that that's what he would jump to. Although I've also had someone ask me if Onyx was a Czech Shepherd. Wasn't sure if he meant a GSD from Czech lines, a Vlcak, or what.

It's gotten to the point where I'm mildly surprised every time someone does recognize his breed. We were sitting next to a woman and her elderly mother at the mall yesterday, and the older woman asked my father what breed Oni was. When he said German Shepherd, the younger woman said, "The German kind right? Not the American?" I was like, shock

ETA: The skinny dog/fat dog thing irritates me, too. Onyx randomly put on a couple pounds recently. Nothing major, still has a decent tuck, but his ribs aren't as easily felt as I would like. Seems like it happened overnight. I suppose it just seems that way because I see him all the time, but I do keep a very close eye on his body condition, so I do think it happened pretty rapidly.

He's been filling out muscle wise, so when I tried to point out to my parents that he was getting a bit chubby, they insisted it was just part of his filling out. Sorry, but I can tell the difference between fat and muscle, and while some of it is muscle, that FAT around his ribs isn't muscle.

Best indicator is if people say my dog is too skinny, he's perfect. When I stop hearing that, I know he needs to lose weight laugh out loud

Edited by author Mon Mar 11, '13 9:40am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 9:39am PST 
"She's bouncy, so she MUST be a puppy!" Uh... She IS indeed a puppy, but that's certainly NOT why she's bouncy. Maya was bouncy right up until the day I let her go. That said, we did consider that we should have named Ria Roo, short for Kangaroo, bol.

"She's so shy because she's abused." Ria barking at you, then crawling up to you on her belly and licking at you with her ears back and her posture low is because she's shy and uncertain of who you are. She needs more positive socialization, but she certainly isn't abused.

"She jumps on you because you let her/give her treats every time you come over." Ugh. I've heard BOTH of these. My FIL told me it was because I let his dog - NOT the case. In fact, I shoved her off every time and don't give her any attention unless she keeps all four paws on the floor or sits nicely. But y'know, let's blame her bad manners on someone else. And the other part of it I heard from a friend. Whose dog, I was clicker training FOR HIM to help him and his family! And it definitely wasn't every time and it had NOTHING to do with her jumping. She jumped on people in excitement and because she wanted to play. Grr.

"If the dog doesn't get it on their own, they're stupid." No. It's called staying consistent. Repeatedly telling your dog all the reasons they're bad and giving them trouble all the time doesn't teach them what you WANT from them. silenced

"If a dog runs away and doesn't come back, it was too dumb to have anyway." WHAT?!

"Don't let the dog on the bed, it'll think it's alpha." ... I have no words. None.

"That dog is dominant." NOT EVERY LITTLE THING... is based on dominance. Yeesh...

"A big/small dog doesn't need much exercise." Ugh.
[notify]
  (Page 15 of 23: Viewing entries 141 to 150)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  [Last 10 entry]