GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 13 of 23: Viewing entries 121 to 130)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  [Last 10 entry]  
Bullie

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 10:05am PST 
Another one... we went to a beachside restaurant and there was this white fluffy dog sitting next to an elegant man (he was wearing Miami Vice looking outfit complete with loafers when the regular beach goer is shirtless, usually barefoot but sometimes can be bothered to put on some flip flops).

Anyway, several people passed by to oooh and ahhh over the pretty dog and one said, "Oh! What a really cute poodle!". And the guy stood up, said in a posh tone, "He is not a poodle. He is a Bee-shon Free-zay." and walked off.

It was awesome. I have a bichon too so I know the dog was a bichon but, since the dog did not have his show-coat on, it can easily be mistaken for a toy poodle... I get it all the time and so it doesn't bother me.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 3:07pm PST 
BOL Bullie. laugh out loud I've made that mistake several times since i had only ever seen the bichon on TV. The first time i went to the dog park in Pasadena were i once lived i called someone's bichon a poodle. Needless to say she was nice about it.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 4:04pm PST 
I will confess that while I consider myself pretty good at guessing a lot of breeds, I have trouble guessing the breeds of little dogs with hair, like Bichons, Shih Tzus, Havanese, etc. (as opposed to fur, like Pomeranians, Chihuahuas, Papillons, etc.)

But I blame that partly on the fact that around here they're all so poorly-bred that even an expert couldn't pick a poodle from a pack of bichons. laugh out loud Not to mention a good 70% of them are mixed with something else anyways. Designer dogs are all the rage in this town. silenced
[notify]

Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 7:21am PST 
Journalist's Guide to Dog Breed Identification
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 8:11am PST 
Nicky big laugh That about sums it up alright.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 10:14am PST 
OMD Nicky so funny big grin if it has four legs and a tail it must be a pit bull big grin
[notify]
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 6:54pm PST 
Not to my dogs, but to poodles:

"I hate poodles, because they're vain!"

Oops, Hollywood.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 7:16am PST 
laugh out loudbig laugh Awesome Nicky laugh out loud

Sonja is a bit vain I must admit laugh out loud She's the girlie-est girl dog I've ever had or seen. After she gets groomed...don't try to touch her top knot...it will mess up her new hair-do. laugh out loudbig laugh

Jasper on the other hand is ALL boy...enters rooms like "Kramer" from the sitcom "Seinfeld" I always get asked what kind of dog he is. Seriously, I want to say, "a curly coated Chihuahua" laugh out loudbig laugh
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 7:32am PST 
Nicky, Love your guide to breed I.D.big laughbig laugh

Owning Akitas I get alot of people telling me they would never own one because their sole purpose in life is to kill other dogs,maul children,and turn on their owners. I have heard this from people employed by our local shelter as well as "so called" professional trainers in my area who have gone on to recommend that I have my pups euthanized before this happens to me. I wish "professionals" at least were better informed.frown
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 10:18am PST 
MIka and & Kai- That's horrible. naughty to those "professionals" they're just haters.

I was personally raised with a few akitas and i can say I was never "mauled" or "turned on". They're a very noble breed and great companions. I don't really know where they get the idea Akitas are bad dogs. They're just not for everyone.

Though what you've said I grew up in CA hearing about Dobermans and I get all the time now for Pitt bull type dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 13 of 23: Viewing entries 121 to 130)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  [Last 10 entry]