GO!

*****DO NOT BUY FROM KEYSTONE PUPPIES******

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 15 of 17: Viewing entries 141 to 150)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 6:04pm PST 
Fritz.. she has been removed.. but keep notifying her posts and they will be blanked !!

Another victory !!!!!!
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 10:22pm PST 
Man.. I feel like a missed something. party
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 3:26am PST 
She's all over Sports and Agility

Still needing more reports:
"Do you Compete with a rescue dog?" Pages 6,7,8
"The Disabled Handler, Agility and other dog sports" Page 2
"Scent Articles"
"Teaching a Chest Vault in Frisbee"
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 6:02am PST 
BOL, it is kind of satisfying to see Zombie get a bath, we still need notifications on "Do you Compete with a rescue dog?" Page 6

dog walk
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 6:42am PST 
way to go
[notify]
Ace

Ace-Clothing- Calls His Name

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 8:04am PST 
I know this thread is super old so I wanted to bump it up.

This is such an incredibly sad story. I know I will never even think about buying a puppy mill puppy, because then they will know that if they make money off of one they can make money off of more. I want to cry and I cringe looking at those videos of behind the scenes at a dog auction. Why does a poor little dog have to be treated that way. People think that they are helping the puppys whenever they buy them but they are really just supporting the Puppys Mill. I am glad that whenever I chose my puppies breeder, I looked very carefully at her facebook, at reviews, looked up recommendations, and when I went to meet the breed I counted her dogs. There were 10. Most of them were under the age of two. They had never been bred before and you could tell. She had one litter a year, and the most she ever had in one year was two. She tests them before they are even bred, and that makes it really nice to know he was bred nicely
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 11:50am PST 
Wow....seems like there was some action here! laugh out loud big laugh

This really is a no brainer. There is a lot of complexity separating a passable breeder from a good one; that, at times it can almost seem you need a masters for, particularly in trying to educate newbies to identify those differences. But there are BASICS to divide the passable from the failures. And very easy to explain as skunky breeders want to avoid effort and expense as much as possible. They are doing this as a covenience, for revenue, or a passing whim. Passable breeders, on the other, do it because they love their breed and wish to devote themselves to it.

The two key BASICS, just quick ways to identify if this breeder is worth exploring or not, are:

1. *****Health testing done.***** WHY? Because within a breed, certain propensities towards health challenges become evident. Their dogs have more chance to develop "x" than your average dog on the street. So in breeding dogs, and knowing your breed has great or greater chance to suffer from certain health conditions, you take the steps to PROTECT your puppies from a life of suffering made avoidable through health testing. If you do NOT health test, you either are an ignoramus about your breed (do you want that criteria in a breeder?....an idiot?) OR you are willing to prone your puppies to potential suffering simply to save yourself a few bucks. Charming.

2. *****Proven dogs.***** WHY? Well, first, what is "proven" any way? Proven is that the dog is titled, worked or presented in some way that ascertains quality. And this matters because at the heart of breeding is "breed the best to the best and hope for the best." Slapping two dogs together because they are the same breed is a hallmark of yucky breeding. Those in it for the love of the breed, on the other hand, want to better or sustain it, breed good examples and dogs they can be proud of. If you truly seek to breed good dogs (and isn't that what the buyer wants?), would you have no passion at all for presenting the wonderful results of your efforts? Would you not want to verify your opinion of your results and/or the quality of your dogs?

I would like to add that the BYB/mill world uses conformation as a red herring. Ok, not all people believe in conformation showing. But you can title your dog in performance, something as simple as a CGC, promote them through therapy work, or of course a working role if it is a working breed. Something, where your theory that this is a nice dog is in some way proven to exist somewhere other than the breeder's own rationalization that this is so.

We have a S/R crisis because we have too many people slapping together dog A and B because they can. It has no purpose other than to produce puppies. I don't blame this crisis on MY breeding world (not that I breed, I am talking about my mentors). They dedicate their lives to their dogs, are walking encyclopedias, are really invested in them doing well upon placement. The idea that their puppy will end up unwanted or have a tough life (be it from owner handling, health or erratic temperament) is deeply disturbing to them. The idea that a flunkie of a breeder would be using their dogs is equally disturbing. Every rare now and again, it happens...one of those versions...but it is the rare or very occasional dog. They are not the problem, nor are they a risky source for a puppy. The unexpected CAN happen, but rarely can they look back and see it was because they were lame. Stupid sometimes, sure (live and learn), but they always make big efforts to do things right, and are emotionally affected when it doesn't go well.

They are plenty of people out there who are not that. Some are just ignorant, others don't care. But they shouldn't be supported. They aren't doing things with consideration, are encouraging people to do the same, and have a myriad of dogs (and puppy buyers) who pay the price for their lack of discretion.

Edited by author Mon Dec 30, '13 11:53am PST

[notify]
Ace

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 5:52pm PST 
Keystone Puppies is totally annoying though. It hurts me to know that while my dog is perfectly healthy, there are dogs terribly inbred
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 5:52pm PST 
Keystone Puppies is totally annoying though. It hurts me to know that while my dog is perfectly healthy, there are dogs terribly inbred
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 2, '14 10:08am PST 
I wanted to see for myself.after reading such negative reviews I almost did not go. I decided That I needed to make an educated choice.WOW!I am so glad I did.My chocolate Lab is beautiful and healthy!!! She looks exactly like her picture.I did not find these so called puppy mills that I read about. What I did find however was a kind family. In these difficult financial times that we all live in
there are families who have found a way to supplement their income while providing a valuable service.If they happen to be Amish,god bless them! They are just like anyone else trying to pay their bills and provide for their family. My experience with this breeder was completely wonderful.The price I paid was more than fair to me. I will more than likely send Elmer an extra $50.next month when I get paid.I find the Amish to be hard working, spiritual,gentle folks. Maybe you guys are watching too much Amish Mafia. I for one am glad that I was able to find and afford the puppy I wanted. Take the trip,decide for yourself!!!!!
[notify]
  (Page 15 of 17: Viewing entries 141 to 150)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17