GO!

Looking for my first schutzhund/PP dog

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 9:42am PST 
Yeah, they are a bit laugh out loud

Good luck with your search way to go
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 11:58am PST 
I have owned over 15 Beaucerons in the past 19 or so years. They are great dogs, but they are not "easy" trainers. I actually have one now as a training client that is a really nice pup but is quite the handful. The owner was about to return the pup to the breeder in frustration and the breeder told them to call us for some help. The pup is a VERY typical Beauce in my opinion. VERY busy and mouthy and quick to react before thinking. I am very involved in Schutzhund and I will echo other's here, get a GSD for your first dog to work in any form of protection. It's hard to explain, but the GSD is just more open to teamwork aspect, the Beauce is a bit harder in that respect.
I sent this video to the girl with the Beauce pup and she cracked up and said this is pretty close to what she was dealing with when she called me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXqNl5bTCMU
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 6:54pm PST 
I've seen that Leerburg video before. Sometimes I do wonder if I'm potentially biting off more than I can chew, but if it wasn't a protection dog, it would be an agility prospect that I'd be after. I want to do more with my next dog than I've done with Noah.
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 8:05pm PST 
It's really good for your first turn with many breeds to be open-minded, "if not x, we could do y." Pet first, then see where he takes you.

In horses, very often up-and-coming riders heading into more elite competition earn their chops on a veteran. A horse who still has the ability, knows the ropes, can compensate for green mistakes, sometimes even help a rider avoid them. All they need to essentially do is steer wink, and the veteran will be a fine teacher from there.

Dogs don't really have that equivalent. You are best off getting to know a breed and figure out his intricacies and nuances first, rather than tackling that and a challenging training venture all at once. That's like a double whammy. And when talking about bitesports or PPD prospects, you are entering with dogs of more intense drives....so make that a triple whammy! You essentially need to get lucky. In horse talk, that is "over mounting" yourself.

So if you want to do bitework, your best bet is a GSD, a breed that is not particularly tricky. It's more like a choice in other words.....do you want a Beauceron, or do you want to do bitework? With something like a Beauceron all the more true, as trainers in your area may not be breed experienced, either, which isn't going to be helpful.

I myself have Giant Schnauzers, and even for really accomplished trainers and clubs, some get them and some don't. Their training has to have a lot of play orientation and some unpredictability to it to keep them interested. If you don't have chops with that, the breed will give you some trouble. So that's a whole level, too.

Rome isn't built in a day. You can either start with a tougher breed with one you are going to learn on, with the goal that he prepares you for your next, which would be more distinctly your working prospect. Or, start with an easier breed for the pursuit as a teacher.

If you want to do Schutzhund and want a dog to facilitate that, start with a GSD. If you love Beaucerons and envision one day titling one or protection training one, then have a starter you learn on, and once you feel breed fluent, then get your working prospect.

That's really the best attitude. It depends on what you want more...the breed or the ambition. Hope that made sense.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 4:15pm PST 
As usual, you make a lot of sense Tiller.

You all have given me plenty to think about. Do you guys have any advice for getting a better feel for all this before actually getting the dog? As I said, I'm trying to find a local club, but it's turning out more difficult than I thought. I would have thought that since I'm in such a big city that finding one would be easy. I really don't even know where to start.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 7:45pm PST 
I would go through the GSD club, they should have a link or be running a club themselves. That's the easiest way to find them here anyway.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2