GO!

Tell me about...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 41)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 6:54pm PST 
Oh, no doubt that they do adjust. But, I still think some dogs just handle the rowdier situations better than others. Doesn't mean that they couldn't adjust well enough to live in that situation... but maybe there's a better fit out there, ya know? And I wouldn't feel good about my choice if the dog was meeting my needs (a good competition partner, smart, willing to please, good energy level, good with people, etc) but then I was putting him in a home where he had to stress more often than he would like. Doesn't mean he couldn't put up with it... but there are so many breeds and so many mixes in shelters and then of course everything is variable to the individual so there wouldn't be any reason to feel pressured to take a dog who would be more sensitive since I can easily find one who would find that humorous versus stressful. I mean that's just how I feel, and it's a big pet peeve of mine when people go and get a dog and spend soooo much time finding the 'perfect match' of a dog or breed who meets THEIR needs but few people actually consider "Can I meet the needs of the dog?". I'll get off my little soap box there... but it's so common (at least a lot of situations I've seen in my friends/neighbors) and it makes me kinda sad because the human is standing there going "He's such a great dog!!" but anyone who knows anything about body language can see the dog is uncomfortable or stressed. It doesn't make sense.

But you're right you can't enlighten everyone. My mom is hesitant about pits, but says if I'm in my own house and the dog isn't her responsibility than she's fine with my choice. Hence why I'd have to wait till I got situation on my own (which regardless of breed I'd do anyways). But thankfully she's not too harsh about it since she knows my stance and we've just over the years agreed to disagree. She's also afraid of Rotties which I find silly too.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 41)  
1  2  3  4  5