GO!

Sport breeder suggestions (Border Collies)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:55am PST 
I really do see much of a problem with getting a Border Collie from a breeder who breed less intense dogs. I think a show breeder would be the ticket. There have to be some breeders who has dual purpose dogs.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 9:07am PST 
Well Selli, I did find a few reputable BC breeders who do both show and sport with their dogs. Do you think that I could handle one of their dogs?
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 8:22am PST 
Why don't you reach out and contact one or two of the breeders with dual dogs and ask them what they think. I personally wouldn't touch a border with a ten foot pole (they're a beautiful breed and I'm enthralled watching them work but they are WAY too intense for me). They know their dogs best, maybe they could give you a recommendation/opinion?
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 9:55am PST 
I don't think anyone here can really tell you whether or not you are ready for a dog from a show/sport breeder.

I think that this is something that you need to figure out for yourself by attending trials and chatting up the handlers of dogs you like, visiting breeders, and maybe even getting involved in your regional Border Collie rescue.

I know a few people who compete with BCs (agility and rally) and probably one of the six dogs that immediately come to mind would do well in a beginner home...one in particular would be a train-wreck in anything but a very experienced, dedicated home. He is a lovely dog, but is a TON of work.

The phrase "Handler Mistake Amplifier" is very apt.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 10:12am PST 
Well, in retrospect, that was a pretty silly question...sometimes I don't think before I type red face. Anyways, I will be attending as many trials and shows as I can, and I've already started to contact breeders. Thanks everyone for your help big grin.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 11:09am PST 
way to go Sounds like you are the right track!
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 12:08pm PST 
Good Luck!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2