GO!

Border Collies vs. Dalmatians (and other suggestions are welcome).

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 8:45am PST 
I know in my last thread I said that my heart was set on a Dal, but some of the responses I got had me wondering if it was really the right breed for me. I know I want a challenging, high energy dog, but I also want to do conformation, agility, and heelwork to music. While I'm open to other breeds, Border Collies and Dalmatians have always been my favorite two. I'm more familiar with Borders, but I've been working with the DCNT and have been trying to get to know Dalmatians a little better.

Anyways, back to the topic. I want to know the facts on both breeds comparatively, so I can weigh the pros and cons of each for myself. If anyone can help me with that, I would really appreciate it. If you feel that I should look elsewhere, I'm also open to other suggestions.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 4:52am PST 
Re: doing confo with a Border Collie. There is a huge split in the breed right now between people who work BCs and people who show them. To put it simply, it has been BCs' working ability which defined them. However now that they've recently been accepted in AKC confo people are breeding away from working ability and towards appearance. The show BCs are often starkly different than the more traditional workers since what makes a great worker doesn't help (and can hinder) in the show ring.

So you have loads of working BC people who refuse to have any contact with people who register their dogs with AKC, or show, or do anything other than herd with their dogs. Some are quite hard headed about it.

I'm looking at a sport bred BC for my next dog and I think some of the rabid "breed only for herding ability" stuff is over the top, but I can see how confo is having a negative effect on a wonderful breed.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 8:40am PST 
So are you saying that it would be a bad idea to show a Border Collie in conformation? thinking
[notify]

Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 9:41am PST 
No, just that if you have a show Border collie it will place well in conformation but not necessarily do well in the competition ring. If you get a working-type BC, it will not do well in conformation but will be a good competition dog.

You can have both in one. My trainer had a working-type BC that she showed in conformation and did agility, herding, rally, and freestyle with. She had her AKC championship along with several competition titles. AND she was a red BC which is very uncommon in the show ring. (Most of them are black and white.)

It can be done, but you sort of have to pick one or the other in order to be competitive in a particular area. Decide which is more important to you: conformation or sport and then pick the BC that fits that aspect.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 9:55am PST 
Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up smile. Sport is a bit more important for me, so I'll look at sport bred dogs if I decide that a Border is what I want.

Edited by author Sun Jan 13, '13 9:56am PST

[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 11:05am PST 
f you go with a BC please check that epilepsy isnt a problem in the lines. its a fast raising issue with the breed
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 4:53pm PST 
Calamity Jane, have you done agility before and what are your goals in agility and freestyle obedience? A show-line BC has enough ability and drive for the majority of casual agility/performance participants.

If you want to be a world team member or win the win the National Agility Championship then you would want a performance bred BC, but those dogs may not suit the average owner. In addition, some breeders who focus strongly on performance put less emphasis on temperament or stability of temperament.

Don't get me wrong, I have met any number of very sweet performance bred BCs but I don't know if I would want to own them.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 5:22pm PST 
Some of the working border collie breeders will NOT allow you to compete in conformation. I talked to one who said that the club he belonged to would cancel your registration if they found out the dogs were being bred to an AKC registered dog or being shown in competition...
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 6:54pm PST 
Thanks Dilly. I'll keep that in mind.

Well Selli, so far my agility experience is pretty limited. I have trained dogs very casually in agility at home, but I have yet to take a class or compete in a trial. I want to go further, but it's just never been in the cards for me so far... I don't know if I want to go for the National Agility Championship yet, I'll have to think more on that one. But, I will need help finding a breeder if I do decide on a sport bred Border Collie. Drive and athletic ability are important to me, but a stable temperament and good health is even more important.

And I'm aware of that Sarah. I had heard of the rift between show and working breeders when I was looking at getting a Border before I rescued Pippi (I decided that, at the time, we weren't in the position for a Border Collie). But, since I do want to show in conformation, I will probably be looking at an AKC show/performance breeder rather than a working breeder.
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 6:55pm PST 
Basically, be careful of your breeders. If possible, see if there is a Confirmation based breeder who does other things with the dogs.

Other things to look out for : hips, epilepsy, MDR1 gene testing & timidness in any of the dogs parents, Dunlop has fear based aggression issues, but is maturing nicely now that we know what he's comfortable with. Sports and agility are not one of those things

Have a look around and see if you can find Happy, the yellow and white Border. She used to breed, compete and has trained assistance dogs, including her own.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3