GO!

finding a good Giant Schnauzer breeder?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

BRT

Please, be nice - ... or else!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 6:58am PST 
Although I do know a number of the Giant breeders around here, having been less than impressed by (the temperament of) their dogs, I cannot recommend any of them...

A friend/acquaintance has asked about a "good" (temperament + health) breeder, preferably in our area (southern Ontario). She definitely does not want a puppy shipped. However, if necessary, she is willing to travel up to a day in any direction (and probably more, for the right puppy).

A bit more information:
The family has the experience and expertise required (IMO) for a Giant. There are older, well-behaved children involved and, like many people, there would probably be a very young child or baby visiting now and then.

What they're actually looking for is a Giant Schnauzer version of our BRT:
- a healthy and stable family guardian, who will easily and readily accept benign visitors in the home, and benign strangers outside the home.

Also, as far as I know, the dog would probably not be shown, and would definitely not participate in protection sports.

blue dog
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 8:30am PST 
Just wondering, but...if what they want is a "Giant Schnauzer version of [our] BRT"....why don't they just get a BRT???
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 9:35am PST 
I do agree with Duncan, BRT. I can definitely lead you to good Canadian breeders who would be putting out correct Giant character....but if they love your guy, correct Giant character is doubtfully what they'd want. My guess is they like a look of a Giant and the character of a BRT.

The fail rate on rearing Giants is extraordinarily high. If the Giant is correct, it will be two to three years of "living with the devil." The energy is unfathomable. I was on GSDs first (import lines), who are like rocks on the floor compared to the energy of a Giant, which starts high, and when teenagers just blasts through the roof. They are, in the minds of those not suited, almost insufferably pushy. Their mischief is their legend and doesn't really map with stability....they ARE in fact extraordinarily stable in a working sense (I actually have them more stable than any German protection breed I've worked....get under their surface nonsense and it is vivid, but there is tremendous surface nonsense with their joking and prodding ways), but the average pet owner's interpretation of "stable" would not mesh with a Giant. They are naughty, pushy, demand to be the center of attention and are just plain exhausting until they are mature by age FIVE. Then they are perfect and fortunately tend to live long so there are many years to enjoy without all the drama, but those first five years are total loo loo's. Individual dependent, some will level off more quickly, but no correct Giant would fail to boggle your mind for some term as a teenager. They also can be very moody....you don't get the same Giant every day. Something I personally enjoy, but do factor in their almost toy breed-esque penchant for jealousy and emotionally charged lives.

Anyone drawn to a BRT's character would be ill suited to a Giant. Someone who finds Boxers humorous would be a better mesh.
[notify]

BRT

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 10:49am PST 
"... Just wondering, but...if what they want is a "Giant Schnauzer version of [our] BRT"....why don't they just get a BRT??? ..."

A good and, apparently, obvious point, Duncan and Tiller...

I've had countless people (including this person) tell me that, if they could be "guaranteed" ( laugh out loud ) a boy like ours, they'd get a BRT in a heartbeat. But although there are (at least) 15 breeders within a fairly short drive of us (most of whom either have a litter on the ground or one imminent), the problem remains that finding a truly good BRT is very, very difficult - on both sides of the border.

This person has recently, like we did way back when, gone through all the local BRT breeders, and has now moved on to looking at Giants (although, IMO, a Bouvier would be a safer bet - but it's not my dog and not my decision).

As we know, and as she's quickly finding out, reading, even extensively, about a particular breed, and the realities are quite different. This, perhaps, can be said of many if not most breeds but, from a personal perspective, having an insider's view into the BRT world, is frustrating, to say the least.

I had actually met two wonderful Giants a while back, owned by a couple who were on their 3rd pair of dogs from the same breeder. Stupidly, I did not write down the breeder's name at the time. red face
Not only were these magnificent-looking dogs, but they both had (IMO) wonderful temperaments - mildly friendly, calm, confident, with an appropriate sense of guardy-ness.

Anyways, I'm still open to suggestions, which I will happily pass on with the appropriate caveats.

blue dog
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 11:33am PST 
There can't be a guarantee, as you pointed out -- but still -- it seems to me that your friends' best chance of getting a dog similar to yours, would be a referral to YOUR breeder and then seeking a dog with similar lines? If there is anything to the notion of the predictability of purebred dogs? thinking

At any rate, I will say that I've known some Giant Schnauzers that were more like your friends' ideal. They were owned by a woman who worked at a natural dog food store in south Louisiana where I used to live. She would bring them to work with her. Obviously, they were fine in that context with meeting the customers and even enjoyed petting from strangers. They weren't Lab-like or "all over you." Just calm and nice. There was one male and one female. The male was from (she said) a backyard breeder in KY (I think?). (and I don't know the story of how she ended up with a dog from a BYB...) But the female was from Skansen, the same kennel that Tiller the dog is from. So I would guess it depends upon the exact lines, and socialization and training, and what is expected from the dog.
BRT

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 8:37pm PST 
"... There can't be a guarantee, as you pointed out -- but still -- it seems to me that your friends' best chance of getting a dog similar to yours, would be a referral to YOUR breeder and then seeking a dog with similar lines? If there is anything to the notion of the predictability of purebred dogs? ..."

That, again, would appear to be an easy road to take, Duncan. And yes, I firmly believe in the relative predictability of purebred dogs - this, even though when it comes to the BRT, the owner does have a broad opportunity to totally screw up a once, perfectly good puppy.

But, although I have nothing but the highest respect for my breeder and her dogs, and have no problem directing people to her, for reasons I cannot post on an open forum, that route will be a no go.

In any event, although I will offer assistance and advice when asked, I'm past the point of trying to "convince" or "push" anyone towards any particular breed, no matter how 'perfect' I may think the prospective match to be rainbow ...

And this leads us back to the original inquiry:
She's looking into Giants, and I've simply offered to pass on information on any promising-looking breeders. big grin
[notify]
BRT

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 5:47pm PST 
Since I've been asked, yet again,
I thought I'd bump this post one last time ...

Any breeder recommendations?
[notify]
In Loving- Memory :- Liberty

April 2, 2008 - April 15, 2009.

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:01am PST 
Not sure about breeders in Canada, but I did quite a bit of research on them when I was considering adding one to my home. Unfortunately, I was not very pleased with the selection of breeders & lines personally... The fancy is fairly over-saturated with stock from what is essentially a glorified show mill.

There is one breeder I've looked into, on recommendation from an acquaintance in another breed, who I would go with if I did decide to get a Giant Schnauzer puppy in the future. And that is Black Diamond Kennels Giant Schnauzers in Colorado, a member of the GSCA. (unfortunately, the previously mentioned mill is also a member of the GSCA).

(NOT to be confused with Black Diamond / Touch of Class miniature schnauzers. Which is an unrelated BYB).
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 1:17pm PST 
Ok...I'll give up the fight laugh out loud big laugh Certainly you can understand, though, BRT....if someone was opting for your breed and you didn't think they were the right home, you'd probably have your reservations as well.

But I don't want to be a putz. At least they have you in their corner. Bluechip is where you'd probably want to direct them. A mentor to many, not only very successful lines on both sides of the border, but there is a strong link to some of the more trainable Giants through Bluechip. That and I don't think she'd sell a puppy to someone with their head too in the clouds...she is a superb breed educator. So maybe I am killing two birds with one stone wink

Now my familiarity with Canadian roots isn't too dense and certainly given that breeders can shift, if this is one of the lines you have seen in the meet the breeds not consistent with the correct interpretation, let me know and I will dig some more for you. Last I looked, this kennel was the top drawer.

Edited by author Mon Jan 7, '13 1:20pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 2, '14 3:41am PST 
Living in Southern Ontario and being opened by Giants, I would recommend either Olga Gagne of Bluechip Perm. Registered Kennels or Deborah Weibe of Nightline Perm. Registered kennels.
[notify]