GO!

DNA test cannot possibly be right...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:22pm PST 
So I just got Ellie's DNA test back... it cannot be right!
It says she is mixed with one mixed breed parent and a miniature poodle/chow chow parent. The options that the mixed breed parent could be are Tibetan terrier, English cocker spaniel, Jindo, Dandie dinmont terrier, and Akita. This was done by the Wisdom Panel and I've heard good things about it from pretty much everyone. Has anyone else gotten faulty results?
I was under the impression that Ellie's results would come back with some border collie or the like. All of her puppies are now looking like border collie mixes. While I think she looks somewhat like a Nova Scotia retriever, these results just don't make sense!
[notify]
Pharaoh

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:40pm PST 
Hahaha. Pharaoh's wisdom panel came back as JRT/St Barnard and Brussels Griffon/mixed breed. The highest % on the mix was a japanese spitz.
[notify]
Fenrir

Veni Vidi Nom

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:48pm PST 
I've seen more results that looked dead wrong than results that looked feasible, mostly from Wisdom Panel as that seems to be the most popular test.

Fenrir's Wisdom Panel came back 25% Old English Sheepdog, 25% Chow Chow, 14.48% Shetland Sheepdog, 10.16% Silky Terrier, 7.93% Sealyham Terrier, 6.37% Irish Setter, 3.54% Manchester Terrier. Can't say that I see any of those breeds in him at all.
[notify]

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:51pm PST 
I definitely see Duck Tolling Retriever. I don't see any BC in her, but if you didn't know the dad, he might have been a BC, or at least part, which would explain her puppies looking the way they do.

DNA tests are a gamble... some seem to have accurate results, but others are way, way off. I've heard about people who have purebred, pedigreed dogs, and with a little extra money to throw away they decided to get a DNA test to see what it would say. Long story short, their tests came back with all sorts of weird results not even close to the dogs' actual breed.

Ava's came back saying she's 75% Westie! I found out a couple years later that the earlier tests would often replace "unidentifiable breed mix" with West Highland White Terrier, which would actually mean that Ava is 75% unidentifiable, and that makes more sense. Mutts bred with other mutts to make mutts that would breed with other mutts and so on... After so many generations it becomes impossible to identify any certain breed. But still, I don't hold much faith in DNA tests. smile
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 5:38am PST 
Those tests are kind of hit or miss... mainly miss. Funny story about them- my friend has a mystery mutt Pit looking thing and she took the test knowing they were pretty much inaccurate so she can show landlords basically that he isn't a Pit Bull. The test came back American Bulldog/English Bulldog mix which was actually accurate! She was worried though since American Bulldogs are often lumped into the "Pit Bull" generic category. She had no problem finding a place to rent though.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 6:52pm PST 
I dont like how wisdom panel sticks "mixed breed" in their results. We know that or we wouldnt be doing the testlaugh out loud

I did Bio Pet ( it was a gift) and most of Bunny's results came back believable. But... they said he was 34-75 percent Pug! shock The rest made more sense. Cocker Spaniel, Beagle , Chow and Pomeraniansmile
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 6:41am PST 
I’ve done Wisdom Panel DNA on Eduardo and it seems very accurate, to me. What company did you go with? Ellie does have the head of a Miniature Poodle, so that is very believable. The Tibetan Terrier would explain her body type. Wisdom Panel is the most accurate DNA test for dogs, so I’m inclined to believe the test results. Just because you can’t see every single breed in your dog, doesn’t mean they aren’t in there. I actually do not see how Ellie could be part Border Collie. Was she bred with a Border Collie? But, I’m not seeing the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, either.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 12:12pm PST 
Farley's Wisdom Panel result seemed pretty accurate (GSD/Border Collie/Collie/Lab), but I have heard of plenty people getting totally wonky results, too. You could try asking them to re-test your dog free of charge, maybe?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 2:20pm PST 
Chance's results came back totally believable (German Shepherd/Australian Cattle Dog) - twice.
We did the original blood draw Wisdom Panel years ago and recently asked them to rerun it with their new algorithms. They did it for free.

I would ask them to rerun it since those results seem off.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 7:38am PST 
She looks very much like a Cocker/Poodle I knew years ago. The only thing I would question is the Chow.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2