GO!

Would a good breeder sell a show prospect to someone in their late teens/early 20s?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 3:12pm PST 
If you are talking about SHOW show, as in conformation, there is a wonderful juniors program in the AKC, and those involved in the hobby are very used to seeing people far younger than you dedicating themselves to the craft quite professionally.

The mere fact of your age would not be a deterrent. Paradixocally, it would, as if you have all sorts of ideas but no experience and no particular indication that you would invest yourself, then to a breeder this may be a "flavor of the moment" consideration particularly given your age.

Frankly, you should be doing what you SHOULD be doing and which would impress breeders generally and leave them little concern. Find a mentor. You need to do that anyway. Ask to accompany them to shows as a gopher or whatever way they would plan to use you. If you have a mentor and they can see your passion, you will have no problems finding a show prospect. They will even help find it FOR you smile

It's always a good thought for showing, particularly in the AKC, seems really simple on the surface, but it can be pretty intimidating and frustrating also. Not for the faint hearted or those easily frustrated or offended. That's one reason why breeders are loathe to sell their showable dog to someone who has no experience. They may bail before they even enter the ring wink, and given that much work has been put into the producing of this dog, they do have a vested interest that this be pursued.

Sometimes you can't find a mentor, which again I stress would be a shame for you will learn so much and have a community's support. But if you can't find one, then you need to minimally join an OB club. Also, join the breed club....find people to sponsor you and DO it! You will become more enlightened on your breed, can offer your help on committees, etc., and establish yourself with those who makes these dogs their lives.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 6:02am PST 
Really great advice, as always. I'll be sure to follow through. Thanks guys. smile
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:33pm PST 
There's also a difference between a finishable dog and a high caliber show dog. My Malinois was finishable but not high caliber because of a wonky front end. He finished only because he was structurally gorgeous otherwise. You can finish some pretty lackluster dogs in the showring if you have enough time and money. You won't set the world on fire, but you'll do okay.

You can get a finishable dog from a good breeder, in many breeds without too much difficulty. You probably can't get a high caliber dog without connections or a good record of experience.
[notify]

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:31pm PST 
That's true Zephyr, and I'm not necessarily looking for a high caliber dog, not at first anyways.

I have another question. It's kind of a stupid question, but how do I find a breed mentor? I mean, where do I look, and how do I approach them about it?
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 2:29pm PST 
A lot of breed clubs actually have lists of members willing to mentor. I know the Border Terrier club has two mentors in the area, listed on their website in the breeder resource section.

In some cases it's a matter of introducing yourself to handlers at shows. Joining a local dog org. and finding an instructor willing to help you. Sometimes it can be your breeder.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2