GO!

This Holiday Season, Remember: A Puppy Is NOT a Present

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Dogster Dog

Happy Happy Tail- Wagger!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 11:15am PST 
A dog should always be a considered choice and NEVER an impulse buy. Please help Dogster spread the word about this during this high gift-giving season.

puppy

In an effort to spread awareness and solicit the Dogster Community's support, this post is being placed in multiple forums. The choice and number of forums is at the discretion of HQ.

Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 2:30pm PST

[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 11:46am PST 
I agree with that! Besides a puppy or dog isn't a present.

I wish people wouldn't be in such a rush to get a puppy right now.. I see it a lot then year later they re home the dog.
[notify]
Chatagirl

Crazy cat lady- aspiring to be a- dog mom

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 12:39pm PST 
They should have some robo puppies (that poop, pee, bark, chew, need walks,feeding, vet visits etc)
like those babies that high school kids have to carry around to see what having a baby is like smile
[notify]

Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 3:27pm PST 
I just cannot understand how some people can see an animal similar to a lifeless object like a toy or a book or a bicycle. That you can have it when you like and then throw it away or slack with its maintenance. That you can have a malamute or a rottie although you have no interest in exercizing it and you are surprised when animal control is at your door when your neigbours complained about the dog that howls and escapes and bites their pets when on the loose again and you think it's ok to have him chained in your backyard because your girlfriend is afraid of him and he ruins her clothes and chews your new computer and he's earned to be fed on trash because of his bad behavior and how did that nasty rash get on him... Or that you buy an animal, let it amuse your kids for some weeks and then take it to a shelter because feeding it costs money and someone mentioned vet bills.

They may put more effort in what kind of a car or carpet they want than how well a pet would fit into their lifestyle. Cars and carpets can be hidden in the storage but an animal cannot.

I assume that many of those who are not animal enthusiasts do not always realize how much an animal can think, learn, and feel or that they are not automatically Lassies or Rin Tin Tins or that nice therapy dog from next door or kittens-are-for-ever (though I find adult cats very pretty and interesting animals).

I don't know how much we have present-dog-given-to-rehome problems here but I know one case of two guinea pigs whose life could have been happier if they weren't presents and if their new owner were really interested in them more than few months. And cats... Every summer people take cats and when September rises the now adolescent animal is left behind to their summer place to starve. A lucky one gets rescued. I've heard this problem might be decreasing when today people stay all summer in the cities and have less time to be at their summer places if they even have one. But cats left alone still crowd the shelters every fall when cold weather drives the born half-wild or abandoned young cats to wander into people's yards and meow for food.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 6:52pm PST 
Thank you, Dogster.

People thinking about getting a puppy for their kid should instead think about the values they can share and promote by adopting a rescue dog instead. To value life, to have compassion for less fortunate animals as well as less fortunate people... Much better than spoiling kids by giving them their whim.

I was really proud of my daughter when she adopted a shelter dog after she moved away from home. We had cats when she was growing up, that we'd gotten from the pound when she was 3 years old. Most people don't remember a lot from that age, but she remembered picking "her" kitten out. She also knew that the other slightly older kitten we got had been adopted and returned once before (and ended up giving us 15 wonderful years). THAT is a lesson and experience for a kid worth having.
[notify]