GO!

Should she stay or go?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 3:51am PST 
I'd take 4 dogs over a new partner any day big laugh silenced
(Gotta look over my shoulder before I post that one BOL)

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I seem to remember Shadow being a bit of a different dog in terms of training etc. I'm not sure how she tends to get along with other dogs normally, but if the way she gets along with Morri is new...I'd be inclined to keep her with you. This may prove to be just what Shadow needs to maybe bring her out of her shell a bit more. Maybe coax her into being a more "normal" dog? shrug
I get that she's much softer and nanny-like than what you typically like. And to be honest a "boring" dog isn't something I'd be inclined to keep in my home either...But such a large effect on such a special dog...I dunno

Although I understand wholeheartedly how much of a commitment with time and money it is...and it's a tough call for sure.

I apologize for not being the most helpful. I know whichever decision you make will be the right one hughug
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 3:54am PST 
Our pack is 6 dogs strong. I think you should keep her,you know you want to.hug
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:40am PST 
I know how difficult your situation can be at times but I think Shadow being so accepting,and your own heart are telling you that you need this little girl,the fact that she seems easy now,and just "fits" sounds like something you and Shadow both need. As others have said she may help Shadow finally break-out a bit and come into her own. You and I have talked about this many times,and it is very rare that the one that needs you and you need comes along. I think that the fact that she "fits" so well is her way of telling you that she is that rare one and should stay with you. Hugs. P-mail me if you want to talk about it.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 7:01am PST 
HEY! If you haven't found a flaw to work on yet you aren't looking hard enough! laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:50am PST 
I have a man coming to look at her tommorrow. We will see what happens.

When I grabbed her she came right to me and stood while I slipped a lead on her. The van scared her but she handled it like a trooper. The vet scared her but she never snapped or growled. She walked right up to Shadow and layed down. She has the softest mouth I have ever seen, always careful to mind her teeth. Even when she is afraid, she just cowers, never tries to run or fight. She mastered house training in days, but I seldom have problems with that. Crate training was a snap. Basic commands, no problem and she is perfect for a clicker. Socializing is ongoing and going well. She likes treats but praise even more and wiggles when I smile. The TV spooks her sometimes and for a few days she avoided the living roomlaugh out loudSabi has done her usual stellar job in showing her the ropes and with Shadow she plays endlessly and Shadow is not good with other dogs. Honestly if I didn't know better I would say this was someones much loved pet.
You all are probably right, she probably should stay. If all she ever does is help Shadow it's worth it. I will see how tomorrow goes and decide from there.
I am going to try an experiment and send her to a friends house for a few days to recover from her spay. I will see what Shadow does.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:56am PST 
You'll come to the right decision! smile I do think you should keep her though. The right man will come along too! That's something else you can't rush.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:10am PST 
Sounds like you have a good test planned - go with it and see.

Only other thing I can add - remember us humans get old too...I love having 1 normal, low energy dog around now. Having Harley around wanting his (hourly) tummy rubs and cuddles makes me take a break. And reminds me that as much as Maci loves to train, she can use a break too.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:32am PST 
Miyu and Cobain, I think you misunderstood, sorryred face
Sabi was my partner at work. Since she retired I have been looking for a replacement(I hate that word) for her. And I eventually was forced to find alternate and lower paying employment. My next dog was supposed to be a pup from a breeder to be trained as a new partner. Of course I said that pre-Shadow as well.
Dogs with issues I can handle, men with issues no thanks. laugh out loudI would rather be the crazy dog ladylaugh out loud
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:40am PST 
Lol, I often think I'd rather be a crazy dog lady than deal with people any day too.

That said, sometimes, they just 'fit', and it's something we can't always really control. If the piece fits and all that.

I never wanted another dog, but Maya fit me and Charlie. She was a project, sure, but she was the sweetest thing ever, and the way her and Charlie grew so attached, and the way she was with me, made it so very clear that she was to be mine, so when I moved out, as soon as I got settled into my own place, I went back and took her with me, no if's, and's or buts. Maya was ours, and it fit, even with all her issues and her old age. I may have only owned her as solely mine for under a year, but I worked with her and lived with her for almost two.

She sounds like a fantastic fit, a great dog to have ease into the family, and a good one to help Shadow, as well as help with nannying future fosters.

I was going to get a GSD within the next few years, but it looks like I'll have to put off a third dog for a while, haha.

I hope that whatever decision you come to, that it's the right one for you AND your dogs. hug
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:10pm PST 
red facered facered facered face

OMG Sabi I am SO EMBARRASSED SORRY. You've even mentioned that before, I don't know what I was thinking. laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3