GO!

Breed Match (Tillers help wanted!)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 7:57am PST 
I don't find it odd at all that a Lab would fill all of the OPs requirements. Great dogs!

I think it was Mulder who once listed the four classic family breeds as Labs, Goldens, GSDs and Collies. All breeds that are very trainable, have Watson's handler-bond thing in spades and have a sense of being a "Good Dog."
[notify]
Jake

ain't nothin'- but a hound dog

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:05am PST 
The AKC groups I will be looking into then are sporting, herding and working.

I'm now quite sure if I decide to get a small dog it will be a Papillon because they are one of the most intelligent toy breeds, very attached to their owners and do not require a lot of grooming smile

I could see Goldens, Labs, GSDs and Collies fitting into what I would want for a dog, they are all great breeds. I also am interested in other breeds such as Bostons, ESSs and Dobermans. Now it's just about choosing one breed that is best for me and there is where I get stuck! If only there weren't so many awesome dog breeds out there big grin
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:05pm PST 
The breed that came to mind is the Brittany. Gentle and even-tempered, Sweet, people oriented, smart, medium in size, low grooming and aren't constantly blowing coat. They are a "soft" breed...meaning, in part, that they require gentle training methods. If harsh methods are used...they well shut down.

Britts love to please their owner. They are fun-loving dogs, always eager to join in a family activity. This is a Sporting breed and was bred to cover a lot of ground. They require a good amount of exercise.

This normally happy dog can be timid around strangers, so socialization is highly recommended. Britts bond closely with those who work them and will do almost anything for that person. Brittany's are naturally submissive to people...again only needing gentle methods of training.
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 11:28pm PST 
One of the things you need to do is give yourself the luxury to think more explicitly. If you keep it too general, you WILL get confused laugh out loud Dog breeds at the end of the day are pretty particular.

Hard vs soft....you asked. Important! Soft dogs are sensitive dogs. Hard dogs are pretty imperturbable. Which appeals to you more?

Not only what appeals to YOU more, but tell me. Sorry, gotta get personal, but that is part of what breed matching is! Are you calm, or highstrung. No one is completely one or the other, but which are you? Are you more moody, would you say, or always the same?

Are you more looking to be a nurturer or a buddy?

Trust me....when I am done with you, the list will not be long!
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 12:17am PST 
This whole process is actually somewhat difficult for me because I’m an indecisive type of person. I know it will be worth it though!

Either soft or hard dogs seem fine to me. I would probably go with moderate or maybe a little on the sensitive side. I guess I can’t really be sure which I would want.

I consider myself to be calm and not really moody. Especially when interacting with dogs, I’m typically happy and confident.

Nurturer or buddy…that is a tough one. They are both appealing to me. If I had to choose I would probably pick buddy. I guess I’m looking for more of an “I love YOU, never leave your side, I’ll be here for you” type than a “love ME, don’t ever leave me, I need you” type. Even though I think it would be nice to feel needed smile
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 11:08am PST 
I already figured you were indecisive. Either that or someone who over analyzes! laugh out loud Maybe you are BOTH, lol!

One thing I will say, from my many years of experience, is that often with people who are indecisive, a mutt does remain a good answer. Just because no one is totally speaking to you, and/or you have no ultra precise image in mind. Mutts can be pretty moderate, moreso than purebreds would be. I so *totally* had your dog in my rescue a while back....Finn. ACD/Catahoula mix. Ok, I know that sounds crazy, but he was INSANELY your dog. Scroll down to see him (second dog on the page, bigger in person than he appears)....he was such a doll. Just had the "Mr. Cool" vibe about him. Was really easy, but always up for anything. Very praise motivated. Liked everything. Looked for that one special bond but was ultra amenable to those he didn't know. Came from the deep country of Louisiana, now lives in Brooklyn laugh out loud

So I know you are just in the exploring phase, that you are not going to do this for a while, but I *totally* wouldn't rule it out.

Anyway, just a few more questions and then I am ready to match.

How are you with working on issues? I don't mean anything crazy, but if you had a dog who was not where you wanted him to be....we're talking about maybe a difficult teenage phase, or maybe he's a barker, maybe some SA, maybe he doesn't love other dogs. Is something like this in the "it's all good file"....something to work on, maybe you like some challenge. Or, do you think you'd be somewhat bummed? Still do the work of course, but still feel a little bummed?

I have to ask another personal question. How social is your life? Do you have a lot of people coming and going in your house? Are you more of a loner or do you have a pretty socially active life?

City, suburbs or country, do you think?

Do you anticipate other pets at any point....cats, guinea pigs, a parrot?

Finally, vigor. Do you like dogs who do things in a large way? Dogs who like to rough house? Tear a cardboard box apart? Or do you prefer something more delicate and gentle in the way they do things.

What about you? Are you more vigorous or gentle, would you say?

Are you soft hearted? Gullible? Easily manipulated. Or a hard ass? Somewhere in between?
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 12:35pm PST 
I am definitely both! Are you a mind reader or what? laugh out loud

Finn sounds like he would have been a PERFECT match!!

I'm considering adopting a mutt. I figured that if I found a breed that I liked best I could try to find a mix of that breed. For example, if I decided German Shepherds were the best breed for me, I would look for a shepherd mix. This might be challenging if I decide on a breed that is not as popular though.

I would not be bummed if my dog had some sort of minor issue like barking or separation anxiety. No dog if perfect, I would be sure to work on it with him and hopefully be able to fix the issue.

I would say I’m socially active. I have friends come over fairly often.

Not a big city for sure, most likely country or small town.

I do not expect to get any small pets or birds but cats are a possibility.

If I had to choose between delicate and rough I think I would choose rough but a happy medium would be great. I guess when I think of rough I think of a dog that is a little more playful which I would enjoy.

I’m generally gentle but I often can be more energetic I think would be a better word to use than rough for me.

I consider myself softhearted but I’m able to put my foot down when necessary. I’m not afraid to set boundaries, in fact, I believe boundaries need to be set with dogs and I will not be manipulated to go against them. I don’t want my dog to rule the house, I want to. big grin
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 1:06pm PST 
The more I read your conversation the more you describe my Star, she is not one of those needy goldens, she has a field type personality, which is more rough and not as sensitive. Im sure Tiller will give you some great ideas
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 2:01pm PST 
I am crunching laugh out loud Will be back this evening with hopefully some good, reduced breeds for you to mull over!
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 10:49pm PST 
I'm anticipating your response Tiller... smile
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4