GO!

Breed Match (Tillers help wanted!)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Jake

ain't nothin'- but a hound dog

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 10:15am PST 
And yes I will definitely play fetch with my dog and take him swimming smile
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 6:34pm PST 
I'm wondering what your responses are Tiller? thinking
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 1:48am PST 
Next question....I am formulating laugh out loud Trust me, the answers are important -

On the exercise issue, is this to you part of the responsibilities of owning a dog, or a part you would look forward to? Meaning is part of why you like owning dogs for an activities partner to get you out of the house, or do you look at them as more strictly companions and exercise is a part of what you do with them?

Do you like soft dogs, as in the softer the better, or something more moderate? I am assuming you don't want anything hard wink

How many hours a day would the dog be left alone?

Is this your first dog? How many have you owned and what kind were they?

Edited by author Fri Nov 30, '12 1:51am PST

[notify]

Jake

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 9:50am PST 
I should say a few things before I answer your questions…This is more of a future breed match because I’m currently a college student so I will be getting this dog in a few years. Also I have been working for a professional dog walking business for more than 2 years now. I do not consider myself a novice dog owner.

I definitely want an activities partner! I will look forward to taking him out for exercise such as playing fetch, biking, swimming, long walks and things like that.

I’m actually not sure what you mean by soft, moderate or hard? Are you talking about their demeanor? Could you give me examples of breeds that are soft or hard?

I’m not quite sure how much time the dog will be left alone because, like I said, this will be in a few years. The reason I am not getting a dog now is primarily because I know I do not have the amount of time for him that he deserves.

All the dogs I have “owned” were more of family pets. So, I was really too young to train them myself. I have had in my household a female corgi mix, two male beagles, a female boxer, and a male miniature pinscher. But like I said before I am quite familiar with many breeds through work. Technically this will be my first dog I will be training myself but I believe I am very prepared and can handle dogs more challenging than for example a golden retriever.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:52am PST 
Post from the easy Golden owner here, I have to say I have never really understood the idea of people who want a more challenging breed. In my mind, having an easy dog just means that you put the time into doing MORE things or higher level things with your dog. Yes, it is super easy to teach a Golden manners and CGC stuff so then you just go further. Train for agility or upper level obedience or field work or tracking or all of thee above. There are so many challenges for any dog to overcome learning these sports and one of the fun(?) things about them is that more than half of the challenge is the human getting it right.
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 11:02am PST 
I understand where you are coming from. In my situation it is not that I am looking for a dog that is more challenging but if the breed would happen to be I would be ok with that. For example, a dog breed that forms a strong bond with his owner but is not necessarily easy to train. I would be ok with him being challenging because I'm looking for a dog that possesses it's other good qualities like a strong bond. Do you know what I mean?
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 11:06am PST 
If I did end up getting a golden I would love to do upper level obedience with him for more of a challenge for him and myself.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 11:20am PST 
If you want a strong bond you should stick to the naturally handler-bonded breeds. These include the biddable groups, primarily gun dogs and herders, and the easier working dogs. All are eminently trainable dogs. A soft dog is very sensitive and not forgiving of mistakes. Must be handled gently. But generally not overly stubborn. Would you like examples of soft and hard breeds?

And I must agree with Selli. I actually had a harder, field Golden, full of drive. Great nerves. Would have been a fantastic OB dog. Learned in about 2 reps, knew more than 150 words, could discrimate objects, etc.

Also, some breeds are sharper, this is especially found in the herders. Some breeds also are more "neurotic."
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:26pm PST 
Velcro dogs are not solely in the handler bonded category. The toy group is absolutely full of them. Since you don't want to clipper, affens, schnauzes, and poos are out
IMO List baded on your criteria on size to go look at:

Toy:
Chihuahua
Papillion

Small:
Xoloitzcuintli (there are toy, mini and standard sizes of this breed)
Basenji

Standard dogs:
Boxer
Brittany

Large dogs:
Great Dane
American Alsatian

Edited by author Fri Nov 30, '12 7:35pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:32pm PST 
Oddly enough the dog you have kinda described is similar to my Lab. He follows me everywhere and will play fetch and other games. He also is very snugly and loving ( even crawling under my covers and snuggling my tummeh which is cute since I'm pregnant.) He also learns very quickly and is highly intelligent. The only pit fall is as puppies they have TONS of energy till they grow out of it which from what I've heard is round 3. So if you were to get a lab I'd honestly if I was you go to a shelter or rescue and look at labs round the 3 yr mark. other than the energy issue my pup has been a lovely asset to our home.( fyi I walk him play with him take him to my father in laws back yard to play with the neighbors dog and with his own pup and my pup will still run laps round the house like sonic the hedgehog.)
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4