GO!

Boxer People & Tiller Please Help?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 11:15am PST 
My neighbors just got a Boxer puppy,they are not very experienced with dogs,and I'm not that knowledgable about Boxers. Aside from general training which I can easily help with,are there any special things I should know about the breed? The puppy is only 8 weeks and they are using both tethering and crating/gating. I have shown them how to work a bit on focus,come,sit and down. She is slightly food Posessive but not agressive,for that I suggested some hand feeding. Any other help or suggestions you could give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I am teaching Marker rather than clicker training because of my own physical problems with the clicker. Thanks Again!!
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 1:04pm PST 
YES!

Boxers are highly prone to both RG and DA, particularly SSA. I worked with a prominent Boxer rescue and it was just mind numbing, not only the incidences of these behaviors, but how many dogs ended up getting returned from good adoptive homes. It got to the point where they simply refused, it is now a policy, to adopt female dogs into homes with an existing female dog. Often, what you'd have is six months, a year of the two girls feeling things out and then *WHAM*, massive aggression between the two. So they just got to the point where they said "no more" and refuse an adoption that would place females together, no matter how dog friendly their foster seemed to be. RG also could lead to bites. Bear in mind the past history of Boxers....it may surprise some in this country but Boxers actually were/are police dogs, protection dogs, so they are quicker to bite than a lot of breeds. So couple that with the RG, and sometimes things get pretty ugly. Early work to avoid these things matters much.

So the first of the primary things is to avert the RG, which she is already showing a little of you say. So that is red flag territory for you right there. If she is showing now, she likely has that trend. My personal advices are to be sure there is a lot of behavior around the food bowl, and once you feel she's ready for it, really up her tolerances. Take her bowl away, in example, and give her a piece of liver. Condition her to being rubbed on while she eats. Things like this. While she is this young, she is tolerant, so build and condition amply. I would also incorporate a system....which I do as a puppy coach for all breeds that tend to be possessive....where she can have her toys, but they need to be given to her and when she is done have them placed away. Don't allow her, in other words, to have possessions. Ask if if she'd like a toy, make her sit, have her play with it, and when she is done put it away. As training progresses, you also should be sure she is getting off the couch pleasantly when asked. All of this very upbeat and happy, of course.

For the potential DA, of course socialize her extensively, and try to let her life be...not just now but in the future....keeping her around other dogs. Boxers are inherently great players....some of the very best players out there!....so this is a huge asset. But be warned, as players they are very pushy and vigorous, which may overwhelm other dogs, who in turn may snap and then you open up a whole can new can of worms with a bad experience. So playing is fantastic and keeps her happy socialized, but as she gets a bit older, she will get more vigorous and bold, and that's when you need to watch her playing more closely, and if it is looking as if she is overwhelming the other dog, pull her out.

As she gets a little older, energy will go *through the roof* I hope they like an energetic dog, because Boxers are that....they bounce all over the place. It's a funny aside, but one of the reasons I invested myself in Boxer rescue is that they drive me insane to live with, so I figured I'd never mind letting my fosters go laugh out loud

They by nature are very mouthy. She should HAVE a lot of good chew toys so she'll have something to do with that tendency. If not, she will chew something she is not supposed to. Expect some degree of mouthiness to challenge you...it is very typical.

Good stuff? Well firstly, they are the sweetest mushpots on earth. REALLY sweet. Prepare her people for the rather exasperating mix of trying one's patience...as they are these pushy, bouncey pockets of enthusiasm....with the fact that they are also very sensitive. They need a lot of attention. YOU, as it looks like you are at the helm of this in some way, need to understand that they love attention, and "mobbing" is common behavior. That is leaping and bounding all over you insanely. DO NOT tolerate this! They know what they are doing laugh out loud They really like being pests. So proper door behavior....meaning when someone comes in through the door, coming home....should be instilled early. The earlier you train, the better. They always mean well, but live in a world of "more is ALWAYS better" and really don't regard being a major time pest as a bad thing wink For some reason, this breed in particular shows a very high mobbing mentality. One thing I suggest is that when they come home, make her sit and then give her something to do, such as give her a toy. They need to put the energy somewhere, so giving it a more productive outlet and avoiding the classic Boxer stage is really smart stuff.

Boxers learn VERY fast and are major foodies....pigs with a tail laugh out loud big laugh They also love the ball, love tugs. They LOVE to play. In training, some food and some play is a good balance, as they can bore and are usually more training enthusiastic with some variety. Another way to combat the RG is to do a LOT of tug work....the sooner the better. This focusing on getting her to do a fast release so she can get the tug back. This is also very helpful in combatting RG. Don't forget enthusiastic praise....this is a very praise positive breed and means as much to them as the reinforcer, as they are all about the connection.

Boxers love, and I mean LOVE!!!!!, kids. They are one of the ultimate kid companions and gravitate to them like they're "their people." Don't know if they have kids in their backdrop, but socialize young and these dogs are ridiculously reliable and prefer to be around kids than anything else.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 2:51pm PST 
I don't want to scare you or the dog's owners, but as a former RVT my first thought is to wonder if they are aware of how many health problems the breed faces.

In every vet hopsital I've worked in, ANY lump on a boxer was considered cancer until proven otherwise. Come to think of it, I can't recall a single instance where we biopsied a lump on a boxer and found something benign. They are also quite prone to seizures and heart defects, as well as the problems that go along with any brachycephalic breed.

I know I'm kind of preaching to the choir here, but you said they didn't have much dog experience, so you might want to gently suggest that they read up on the breed's health so that they can be aware of warning signs and proactive in the puppy's care.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 6:17pm PST 
Thank-you both for the info. Being an Akita person and knowing that their Boxer will have some of the same issues is actually very helpful. There are 4 smaller children in the family,the Boxer was a gift for the oldest boy. Did already tell them to pet the puppy and let her know all good things come from them. I am simply guiding the training. Did warn them to socialize until they drop,she will shortly have Mika & Kai to play with,she is just a bit small now and I do know play styles are similar,so she will learn alot from them. Will certainly be aware to watch for interaction between her and Mika,do not want either injured. I will also make them aware of possible health issues. Good to know that I have at least some of the type of experience they will need. Thank-you Tiller for offer of additional help,I will certainly have many more questions as things move along.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 6:40pm PST 
Re the SSA thing, that tends to not surface until two or after, and often will be most intense with dogs they literally share a home with. As I implied before, we could have bitches do splendidly with other dogs in their foster stint, but once there was a stretched out time in their adoptive home, that was when things tended to skyrocket.

Boxers are VERY social....almost to a fault laugh out loud.....and basically bold, which makes socialization easier.

Glad there are kids! Those are a Boxers favorite pets, lol!

Train early, early, early!

Health issues are cancer...which is rampant in this breed...and also heart issues. Sadly, Boxers don't often make their full life span. It's just a part of owning them. I cannot recommend health insurance highly enough for this breed! You have those, they seem to tear things more than most breeds do, are prone to skin issues, seem less mange resistant and also are prone to bloat.
[notify]
Isabella

Underwear Thief- & Purse snatcher

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 11:30pm PST 
"As she gets a little older, energy will go *through the roof* I hope they like an energetic dog, because Boxers are that....they bounce all over the place"

That is for sure! haha

This might be a good book for them since showing resource guarding.
http://www.amazon.com/Mine-Practical-Guide-Resource-Guarding/dp/09 70562942/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328913609&sr=8-3

Bella used to do it with kibble thanks to parent's who fed her in same room as Dink the catahoula mix she was a darn food hound ate all her food and pushed Bella out of the way..

It wasn't too bad with people.

She did resource guard her raw treats or meals, but I worked with her and now she will drop it and leave it on command.

Puppy class is a good start especially if first time dog owners.

Obedience would be nice too.

Bella never got puppy class luckily she went places regularly and met people and dogs.

She has had a lump removed I forgot what it was I don't think it was cancer I'll ask mom she'd remember.

Bella was a crazy young dog. Puppy she was great calm and playful then she got into teenager phase and pulled like a maniac.

Continued working on loose leash walking is a must.

Me and mom kept working with her through her craziness and eventually she got better and walked nicer on leash again. She is now getting better with not going nuts when she smells a rabbit or deer scent.

Boxers do love kids at least ones I've had.

They also tend to get a bit alert over certain things.

Boxers I've owned think they're 20lb lap dog and likes lay on your lap or close to it..

Not sure on SSA Pearly did fine with Dink both were females, but coarse not every dog are the same.

Saya and Bella get a long well never had issue.

Boxers needs a lot of exercise both physical and mental. Training is a must too.. Bella gotten into trouble due to my dad not exercising her she gotten into his book chewed it magazines and so on. :

She is a good dog and smart too. 8weeks old she was working on sit then down. smile

Bella can be stubborn sometimes.

Bella didn't come from a good breeder more like a byb or something like that they only had two dogs the mom and dad.

Bella does have hypothyroidism I'm not sure if it's common in boxers or not.

She was lethargic when we noticed something was up sure enough.. She gets meds and acts like her normal self.

I love boxers fun dog.

Bella loves her mom she follows her into the bathroom when she goes in crazy dog. she tries shut the door before she get near. lol

Has their pros and cons like any breed.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 6:19am PST 
She is 8 weeks and it took me 10 minutes if that to teach her sit and down.
My concern was her tending to walk away when given a treat,that was what made me think there was potential for food agression down the road,so I let the oldest son (15)who will be working with her most to keep her with him and to interact with her while she has food,pet her,touch her,get and stay close,don't let her walk away to eat,etc... she seems very friendly and willing to interact with Kai,and he seems to adore her,I don't think they're overly concerned with her activity level with 5 children ages 15 down to 3,she will be kept quite busy,they are also very active and go camping,boating,ride on ATV's,so she will get plenty of exercise.She came from friends of theirs that had a litter of 11,so I can't vouch for health testing or bloodlines. She is enrolled in a training class that will start in 6 weeks. I am just trying to get her started on the right track for them and guide them in the right direction. Thanks Again.
[notify]