GO!

Met some silver labs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 3:31pm PST 
So I am not a lab person, or into the sporting breeds in general- nice enough dogs, but not my thing. I would, however, like to think I have enough breed savvy to recognize a LAB when I see one.

I recently met 3 'silver labs,' and I had to ask what breed they were. They looked nothing like labs, and given the popularity of labs around here, I've seen some pretty poorly bred BYB dogs. I honestly though they were some odd type of mastiff. They had short muzzles, with very under-shot lower jaws. They were big and heavy boned as well being morbidly obese.

After asking about them a little more, apparently at least one of the dogs has a bite history. And the best part- you can buy a puppy out of these dogs for the low price of $1000.

silenced
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 3:56pm PST 
Wow, the Silver Lab I met looked exactly like what I would think a Lab/Wiemie would look like. It also had really bad skin.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 5:59pm PST 
I've met a couple 'silver labs' too. Most look just like Lab/Weimaraner mixes...

I've seen one--just ONE--silver that actually looked like a purebred lab, and the owner was very, very proud, going on and on about how most silver labs are just overpriced mutts, but hers is actually from carefully bred labs. I don't know how much I believe that, but to her credit he did look purebred. thinking

I think it's probably similar to the mini Aussie craze. There are real minis out there who were bred down from purebred Aussies, but most of them are just Aussie/Papillon/Pomeranian/Chihuahua/insert-little-dog-here mixes
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 7:44am PST 
I was browsing through the lab breeders sites at random one time and came across a "very rare" Champagne Lab. Thing is it looked exactly like Savvy...plain old yellow Savvy.
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 4:37am PST 
Real "Silver" labs are a dilute chocolate and, as such suffer from the usual serious skin conditions affecting dilute colors like dobes, etc.
However, that said, MOST silver labs do indeed have some Weimaraner in the mix, usually evident in the higher set, pointed ears.
Since the Labrador is not a terribly old breed there are occasional miss colors that pop up, most notably the black and tan "setter" pattern and, more rare, brindle patterning. These are thankfully, quite rare, but do occur. However, the so-called Silvers are a man made defect.
Those "rare" whites and reds ARE normal shades occurring in yellows, and are not rare. There is no true white, it is always a light or pale yellow/cream color.
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 3:21pm PST 
Quincy- black/tan and brindle labs?! Interesting!

After meeting the 'silver' labs I did some Google searches and most pics I saw really did look like weim/lab crosses. The three dogs I met didn't look any more like a weim than they did a lab. I was really thinking 'mastiff,' the size and badly under-shot jaws really threw me off.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 4:08pm PST 
I was told they're mostly weim mixes most don't look purebred anyway.

I saw a webpage onetime of lab mismarks they come in some very unusual colours.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 4:43pm PST 
Here is a little video of a silver lab in my neighborhood. The vast majority of labs around here are the stockier versions, so the lab in the video fits that bill. The lens fogged up, so you can't see his color too well, but he is weim silver and has the light colored eyes of a weim too.

Really just looks like a weim/lab cross to me.shrug
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 5:56pm PST 
I know a brindle Lab, she is not registered but her parents were (she was bred by the parents of one of her owners). I also met a Lab with tan points. It was owned by a researcher at VetGen, the company that has the genetic test for determining what colors a Lab carries. They both looked just like Labs, just oddly colored.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 8:34pm PST 
Cute video, Sanka. Is that Kato in the video? Poor boy is just like "please please play with me!" throwing play signals like crazy and the silver lab is just like shrug lol
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2