GO!

Lets Trash Goldens (from a Golden Lover)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 3:34pm PST 
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, Selli...

Selchie, is pronounced 'Sel-ky' like silky, but with an 'e' instead of an 'i' if that makes sense laugh out loud

I am actually from London but a lot of my family are Scottish so I moved back here when I could get the chance as I've always loved Scotland... I'm a true Londoner, I just have Scottish heritage... Scotland is much nicer than London though puppy
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 4:00pm PST 
Rocky, I kind of feared that was how it is pronounced, since we pronounce it Sell-she. Oh well, if it took ME 8 years to figure out the correct pronunciation, I probably will never run into anyone else who actually knows I am pronouncing it wrong.

Thanks so much for the info. Although I have no Scottish heritage, I am really into the fact that my dogs do big grin
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 3:58am PST 
Lol, Selli... You're right, you probably won't run in to someone who knows how to pronounce it properly... I don't think it really matters either puppy

But for me, living close by, I've been corrected a few times by people laugh out loud There are some amazing Golden breeders in that area though. My sister is desperate for a Golden so she spends a lot of her time there, speaking to owners and breeders...

Beautiful part of the world puppy I love it.
[notify]

"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 5:31am PST 
We had decided to name her after the Selkie since Goldens are such water dogs. I found alternative spellings, one of which was Selchie. Silly me. I was telling my friend about my incorrect pronunciation and she asked what other Scottish words had a "ch" together and how it was pronounced and I immediately thought loch, why had a not thought of that earlier? thinking
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 5:44am PST 
I'm with the article's author in preferring a stubborn disobedient streak in my dogs. I have yet to meet a Golden that can come close to what my Huskies (or other preferred personal breeds such as Rotties, Akitas, Shibas, Basenjis, etc) can throw at me - and as a daycare worker, petsitter and trainer I have met a LOT of Goldens. I don't think this is so much of a diss either way as it is pure personal preference, and one that must be addressed for the good of both types of breeds.

A Golden's stubborn moments are based mostly in confusion, fear, or inability to complete the task at hand (overtired, pulled muscle, etc). Regardless of the cause, they will feel genuinely bad that they can not do what you would like. As in the article, the dogs the author stayed with seemed to feel sorry for being ill when she cared for them.

You will not get this from a breed with a true stubborn streak! They will listen to your cues, contemplate, then sit down, look you straight in the eye and refuse. No remorse. When they blow you off and do what they want, there are no apologies. They don't return sheepishly as if to say, "Gosh I'm sorry, it's just that was really important to me and I didn't quite understand you... I hope we can still be friends." No, they return quite pleased with themselves, and look at your frustration as if to say, "What? Admit it, that was awesome. I'm gonna go chill with a chew until you get over this."

It's an important distinction to make. I don't feel challenged by Goldens, or other breeds with similar mindsets. Just as people who need to see apology and willingness to please would be absolutely infuriated with frustration living with my dogs.

And yes, I'm aware that SOME Golden SOMEWHERE has a flippant, "screw you" attitude - just as Ember gets totally freaked out if she thinks she's done something wrong. There are always exceptions. Pointing them out is missing the idea... You don't pick a dog based on exceptions. I spend a good chunk of my time telling people NOT to get a Husky because they love Ember.

Edited by author Sun Nov 25, '12 5:48am PST

[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 7:42am PST 
Although Goldens do want to please you more than almost anything, they are hunting dogs and do have a strong desire to chase prey. If a Golden is chasing a duck in the lake, or a deer in the fields, they will blow off your recall. Their ears turn off, all they can think of is the prey.

Training them to come off the prey does take training and consistent reinforcement.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3